1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach OCR ICT B062

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ukrocky, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ukrocky

ukrocky New commenter

Good evening all,

I hope you're all well. Just a quick one really. I'm an ICT/Computing teacher in my RQT year, having done my degree in Computer Science then doing my PGCE in maths, before switching back to Computing for various reasons.

I'm confident in my ability to teach a lot of different things, from programming to ICT theory, but I really, really struggle with B062 on the OCR GCSE spec.

For those who can't remember what it is, or simply don't know, it's the unit where they do a report and build a spread sheet for a business, and my problem is twofold:
    - My current Year 11 group are on paper a very high ability class but their ability to make a good spreadsheet for a business is lacking, and they are going far too slowly. I have tried all sort of Excel tutorials and checklists but nothing seems to help.
    - My new Year 10 group are on paper, a very low ability and behaviourally poor group. This is where my real worry is. If I'm struggling so much with a 'good' group, I dread to think what will happen with this group. I'm doing Excel skills with them at present, but they are slow, disengaged and struggling, and that's before I ask them to be creative with it.

Any tips?

Thanks!