1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to teach numeracy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by apricot2410, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I've moved from secondary to primary and am really struggling teaching numeracy. I'm following collins maths and I need to get a better understanding of what I'm teaching. I need to be able to better explain the concepts to the kids. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can improve my explanation and understanding?

2. We have recently bought the collins scheme but I find working from that difficult directly - i use the maths strategy objectives and use the collins and other sources as resources for practice. To be honest collins not first choice resource for me!

3. KnightRider

KnightRider New commenter

DEFINITELY go to the National Centre for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics website, specifically the personal learning bit: https://www.ncetm.org.uk/personal-learning/ There are self evaluation tools that you can work through, identifying gaps in your personal subject knowledge and also pedagogical knowledge. There's a forum where you can post specific questions (although I suspect TES may get an answer quicker). I'm not exactly sure where on the site off the top of my head, but there's definitely somewhere that suggests ways of teaching things too. Good luck!

4. Fur

Fur New commenter

Train in primary teaching like the majority of the rest of us did!!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Nice.

A tip: think of it as maths.
    Get on as many courses as you can. Ask to observe.

Good luck.

6. Try Derek Haylock's Maths for primary teachers (unsure of exact title) Very good for basic maths.

7. Which year group are you in?

8. Year 5. Thanks to everyone who offered some useful advice, really appreciated. And to the person who said I should have trained in primary then you are extremely narrow minded. I am an outstanding, highly trained teacher and thought I could use my skills in another phase. Many of my primary trained colleagues are struggling with the concepts behind numeracy and your comment was most unhelpful.

9. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Thanks very much for that site!
    Do you know of a site that does the same thing for English, or Science, by any chance?

10. Try 100 Numeracy Lesson by Scholastic as well. The lessons are rather dull and repetitive but they are a good point of departure and the CDs attached have got differentiated worksheets which can save huge amounts of time. They very clearly explain the different methods which you might not be so familiar with.