1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

How to teach in the USA

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by Obi1gwynobi, Mar 6, 2018.

  1. Obi1gwynobi

    Obi1gwynobi New commenter

    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me?

    I am from Wales in the UK and have found a teaching job in a middle school in Illinois in the place where i did a student exchange whilst at Uni.

    I have started on the application for but am coming across so many hurdles it is becoming frustrating.

    On the application form it asks me to enter my major and minor and how many hours per semester etc. There are a few other things that I am unsure about how to answer but I cant seem to get anyone to help me with my queries.

    One of the biggest problems is obtaining a license to teach out there. I am currently working on this but again i am going around in circles. From what i can gather i need to creat an ELIS account on the Illinois State Board of Education website then have my transcripts evaluated by a state board of education approved foreign credential evaluation company.

    This leads to a new question - do i need to get both my degree and my PCGE transcripts evaluated or just the PGCE or just the degree. My degree was a BA (hons) in sport and human movement studies and the PCSE was an additional year to allow me to teach in the UK.

    One final question, it may cost about $250 just to get the transcripts done without any guarantee of even an interview, let alone the job. Should I just complete all of the bits of the form that I can...eg. letter of application and cv and submit the form and then worry about the transcripts if they get back to me?

    ANy help would be appreciated as I have emailed various agencies and noone seems to want to get back to me to offer any assistance.


  2. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    Sorry can't help with the forms. However there is an American teacher forum called atozteacherstuff I would join there and then ask the questions of teachers in the American system.
  3. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    51cfys and blazer like this.
  4. markrogers2017

    markrogers2017 New commenter

    Each state has its own licensing procedures-- there is no USA policy or procedure. Perhaps the public school district in which you have been hired can assist you (Human Resources Dept.). Once you have the license, a number of other states have reciprocity agreements. Good luck!

Share This Page