1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach grammar without writing?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tobyr2385, May 10, 2012.

1. I'm a PGCE student on my final few weeks of placement two. I'm currently teaching Year 9 the simple future tense in Spanish.
    I don't know necessarily whether this is a department thing or something that is happening at present, but it's been brought up a couple of times by colleagues.
    As a department, students are given the vocabulary from the current module as a photocopy from the textbook.
    My colleagues wish for me to teach grammar with as little writing as possible - especially with my higher ability students.
    I've been marking books of late, and there are some lessons where all the students have written down is the title, date and LO.
    I know I'm not experienced enough yet or haven't got my own classes, but how do I teach grammar if the students don't write or copy anything down in lessons?
    I'm completely stuck!

2. I'm a PGCE student on my final few weeks of placement two. I'm currently teaching Year 9 the simple future tense in Spanish.
    I don't know necessarily whether this is a department thing or something that is happening at present, but it's been brought up a couple of times by colleagues.
    As a department, students are given the vocabulary from the current module as a photocopy from the textbook.
    My colleagues wish for me to teach grammar with as little writing as possible - especially with my higher ability students.
    I've been marking books of late, and there are some lessons where all the students have written down is the title, date and LO.
    I know I'm not experienced enough yet or haven't got my own classes, but how do I teach grammar if the students don't write or copy anything down in lessons?
    I'm completely stuck!

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No idea.

4. runaway

runaway New commenter

Okay I think the key here is not to take anything to extremes and use common sense. This link is for primary languages, not KS3/4 but you'll see all the ideas are adapted/adaptable to the sort of things you'd do to teach and learn grammar using kinaesthetic techniques. http://primarymfl.ning.com/profiles/blogs/writing-without-a-pen-primary so for example it,s about using cut up cards, mini whiteboards, human sentences, etc. It's about making up songs for declining verbs a la Mr Gorse (see YouTube for examples), or the time ballet and pronoun chant to 'we will rock you' as performed by Greg Horton and his classes. It's less about using lesson time to copy, and more about using lesson time to learn because you know they probably won't do it at home left to their own devises, but you can get them to do the copying as homework instead. Does this help at all?

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I would only rarely get students to copy down grammar notes - and usually for the major tenses. This assumes they have notes in a text book they can refer to for revision. Time used for copying notes is time not used for practice.
    However, they will do plenty of writing in the form of drills, question and answer and freer form writing. I go from controlled practice to freer composition. This is standard practice.

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Ask one of those colleagues to show you how it's done.