1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'How To' - teach GCSE Geog. in 1 year instead of 2? Help please!!

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Jice, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have been teaching AQA Spec. B GCSE Short Course for 3 years but it is being discontinued after this year (Thanks Mr. Gove). From September 2013 I will only have KS3, up to Year 9 and the Short Course would be ideal for them but alas, it is no more, or soon won't be! I know some of you fantastic 'Geogers' out there must be doing the 2 year course in 1 year and wonder if you could tell me how you do it, as just the thought of trying it, is terrifying me!! [​IMG]
    How do I cramm two exams and all that 'knowledge' into 1 year (and into Year 9's)?? Everything is possible so they say but wow......

2. Hi,
    I have been teaching AQA Spec. B GCSE Short Course for 3 years but it is being discontinued after this year (Thanks Mr. Gove). From September 2013 I will only have KS3, up to Year 9 and the Short Course would be ideal for them but alas, it is no more, or soon won't be! I know some of you fantastic 'Geogers' out there must be doing the 2 year course in 1 year and wonder if you could tell me how you do it, as just the thought of trying it, is terrifying me!! [​IMG]
    How do I cramm two exams and all that 'knowledge' into 1 year (and into Year 9's)?? Everything is possible so they say but wow......

3. I'm afraid I haven't got the answers but wanted to add my plea to this request for info. I'm not in exactly the same situation but am wondering about the same sort of thing. I'm in a special school so it's not an issue for many of our pupils but there are some each year who need something at GCSE level and I, too, was disappointed that the short course is going. I've looked at the AQA level 1/2 certificate in geography (the UK version of the iGCSE) and was wondering whether it would be possible to do this in one year as there's no CA. It's not ideal but you could choose the options from the papers and just teach these, effectively cutting out some of the content. Otherwise we're getting to the point of having to teach it all a year earlier which leaves no time to teach the KS3 POS in preparation.

4. Thanks - I'll look into this but I agree re: KS3 PoS! Essential knowledge as I have found out myself teaching the short course GCSE to students who never followed it previously; makes life very hard for the teacher!

5. gal_70

gal_70 New commenter

Hi. I have to teach full course GCSE in one year as my school is odd and the students choose two option subjects in year 10 and complete the GCSE. Then in Year 11 choose two more. It is definately tough to get through the full course in one year even though we have 5 hours a week.
    Up to and including this year, i have been teaching AQA B but we have decided that with the changes to the full course spec that AQA A would be a better choice as there is less to cover and only one controlled assessment task. My plans for next academic year are as follows:
    <u>Autumn term</u>:
    Myself (3 hours a week) : The Coastal Zone and controlled assessment using the coastal title. This should take me until the end of November. Then start Living world.
    My other geographer (2 hours a week): Population change until November then Globalisation.
    <u>Spring term</u>:
    Myself: Finish living world until half term and then restless earth.
    My other geographer: Finish globalisation then Tourism
    <u>Summer term up until the exams:</u>
    Myself: finish restless earth and revision
    My other geographer: finish tourism, then revision
    Despite, having to teach the full GCSE in one yeasr, I would not recommend it, as the weaker students do not have the time to the develop the skills required to reach the higher grades. More able students tend to do well though.
    I hope this helps.

6. gal_70

gal_70 New commenter

I think my headteacher is crazy. Its virtually impossible to complete the entire course. He decided to make options subjects one year courses at GCSE so the students choose 2 subjects in year 10 and 2 in year 11. The only advantage i can see is that in Music and Drama which have low uptake in my school, it makes it possible to have a decent sized class which is mixed Year 10 and 11.

7. It does help me as I can see that trying to do it alone would be impossible! With two teachers it looks 'mad' and you are so right about not developing the skills for higher grades. I do not teach 'able' students unfortunately, working in a complex SEN environment which is why I lament the passing of the short course.
    Thanx a million for taking the time to reply so comprehensively.

8. Brilliant; thanx a million!