1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach English stresses

Discussion in 'English' started by KAMUGISHA, Oct 20, 2011.

1. I AM KAMUGISHA I WOULD LIKE TO INVITE EVERY BODY TO WILLINGLY GIVE ADVICE ON THE RIGHT OF TEACHING ENGLISH STRESSES

2. Try clapping or getting the students to SHOUT!

3. Obviously it is helpful for your students to listen to as many examples of spoken English as possible and imitate the intonation and emphasis.
    The rhythm and meter found in poetry, such as iambic pentameter, will demonstrate this well.
    Prefixes and suffixes are unstressed, with the stress being on the root word.
    Two syllable words are normally stressed on the first syllable.
    Often words borrowed from another language will imitate the pronunciation of the source language - so a Spanish word ending in a vowel will be stressed on the penultimate syllable, for example.
    There are many variations with the increasing trend towards adopting American rather than English pronunciation.
    Many English people argue about the correct way to pronounce certain words and there are regional variations.
    A good quality English dictionary will show the stresses on each word. Short and long vowel sounds are also indicated.
    Fortunately, these days, there are many ways to access examples of authentic spoken English.
    I hope you find some of this helpful.