1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach a song?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by noemie, Nov 1, 2011.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Not so much a carol but last year, I played "Bons baisers de Fort de France" to my year 9 and they have been begging to have it again this year - in fact, they sing it to me every now and then to put the pressure on. And that's the boys!

2. What about doing some listening activities with it before they start to sing it: you could give them the lines of one verse printed onto cards and laminated, they listen to the verse and have to put the cards in order. You could do an audio map from memory: in groups of four they get the lines of a verse on cards, one from each group at a time comes to the front, listens to you reading the verse, then goes back to their group and tells the group what they can remember, the group puts the verse in order. Or a gap fill activity where they have a copy of the lyrics but with words missing which they fill in on listening to the song. Or you could give each pupil a card with a word from the song on it and they have to find a partner who has a rhyming word. You could look at some phonics: have cards with words from the song on, they have to categorise according to the phonics they contain, they they could listen to the song with different groups listening out for different sounds. Hope that helps.

3. squashbabe49

squashbabe49 New commenter

I did the following activities with my year 7s who were learning a song:-

1) give them the lyrics cut up and get them to put them in the correct order
    2) Gap fill
    3) Matching the French with the English.
    This gave them some awareness of the vocabulary before they started to sing it.
    Hope this helps!

4. noemie

I get the students to click their fingers then I say the sentence (not sing it) in the right rhythm. Once they've got that right I add the melody.
    If it's well known it may have a youtube clip and even a youtube karaoke clip. That's how I taught some of my students the Champs-Elysées song for a French cultural evening we had.

5. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Noémie, did you teach 'bon baisers de fort de France' in the same way?

6. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

If you're a confident enough singer you can sing it line by line and they repeat (sorry - this might be a bit obvious, but nobody has said it yet).

7. noemie

Tinky would you mind posting the titles of the songs you make them do? I have been wanting to introduce this to our school for a while now but haven't got many ideas of songs that are of a suitable level/"catchiness"