1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to take A-level French when you're not a student anymore ...?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by luv_uk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Hello Everyone,
    Could you please advise me on this question :
    My friend who is 25, took the GCSE french 7 years ago and got an A.
    She is thinking of taking the A-level french exam this year, but do you know how she could do so ?
    Does she have to choose an exam board herself ? and register somewhere ?

Many thanks for your advice ! [​IMG]

2. tortuman

tortuman New commenter

If she doesn't want to enrol in a college or course, what she needs to do is contacting the examining boards herself. I think AQA and Edexcel do generally offer examinations for external candidates. Basically, call the board and ask them for information on how to register as an external candidate. They will send her an application form with information about fees and how to register and a booklet with the centres that take external candidates. Then she just needs to fill the forms and choose one centre.
    Depending on where she lives there may be private organizations set up that organize all of this for you. A good way of finding out is contacting her local home education group and they may be able to point her to an easier route for entering the exam. I know that in the South West there is at least an organization that does this, but it depends of your area.

3. tortuman

tortuman New commenter

By the way, I did the full German A level myself two years ago through my school and I didn't need much preparation. I enter all the native speakers in my school for the A levels in their home language and they didn't prepare that much. As long as you read the instructions and know what each paper consist of, if your level of French is good enough for A level, you don't have to worry much about the topics. I don't really think examiners are looking for a deep understanding of LIterature or culture, they are looking to see that you are able to communicate effectively in the language.

4. Many thanks for all yor useful advice !
    I will forward these answers to my friend.

[​IMG]

5. Hello
    If your friend hasn't found a local college to sit her A level (and this is quite likely as some parts of the country are poorly served), she could go to Oxford Open Learning distance-learning A level course which prepares you for AQA or the National Extension College which prepares you for OCR.