1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to take a 4 week old to a wedding!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ecb00lm, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hello all: Advice and general suggestions needed!
    I am due to have my first baby on the 7th of May - a little boy, very exciting time. As its our first child I assume the due date may be subject to change so need a little advice.
    My OH is best man at his brothers wedding in early june so baby will be a max of 4 weeks old. We live 2 hours from the venue and therefore the planning of such a venture is making my brain hurt. The venue itself has no accommmodation and there are no self catering rentals within a 20 mile radius..
    So...... Is it feasible to take the small one with us ( I really hope so)....am planning to breast feed if at all possible which adds another unknown into the mix!
    One option is to stay in a travelodge thats about 5miles away and keep the small one with us all the time and hopefully stick to as much routine as possible.
    Another is for my parents to come too and have the small while we are at the wedding and I can pop back and feed as required
    Another is for my parents to have the small at our house overnight but at 4 weeks old is this too soon for us to be away for 24 hours (as you can tell I literally have no clue...I have a degree but any baby decisions make me feel totally thick!)
    Feel free to suggest any other options as we have a week to get our heads together with a plan!
    Thanks for your time - much appreciated....its a lovely predicament to be in really...weddings and babies :) x x

2. Hello all: Advice and general suggestions needed!
    I am due to have my first baby on the 7th of May - a little boy, very exciting time. As its our first child I assume the due date may be subject to change so need a little advice.
    My OH is best man at his brothers wedding in early june so baby will be a max of 4 weeks old. We live 2 hours from the venue and therefore the planning of such a venture is making my brain hurt. The venue itself has no accommmodation and there are no self catering rentals within a 20 mile radius..
    So...... Is it feasible to take the small one with us ( I really hope so)....am planning to breast feed if at all possible which adds another unknown into the mix!
    One option is to stay in a travelodge thats about 5miles away and keep the small one with us all the time and hopefully stick to as much routine as possible.
    Another is for my parents to come too and have the small while we are at the wedding and I can pop back and feed as required
    Another is for my parents to have the small at our house overnight but at 4 weeks old is this too soon for us to be away for 24 hours (as you can tell I literally have no clue...I have a degree but any baby decisions make me feel totally thick!)
    Feel free to suggest any other options as we have a week to get our heads together with a plan!
    Thanks for your time - much appreciated....its a lovely predicament to be in really...weddings and babies :) x x

3. Just quickly as I'm in a rush but didn't want to ignore you: 4 weeks is far too young for any kind of routine so don't worry about that! If you are bf your baby will be extremely portable- all you need is your self! Also at that age they generally feed, sleep and poop during the day (my baby slept a lot in the day- cue visitors saying what a good quiet baby she was- until the evening when she let rip!!) If you want to be fit yourself for the wedding, as believe me you have never known tiredness like it, make sure you really take it easy in the first weeks and sleep when the baby sleeps- can't stres that enough, wedding or no wedding. Giving birth is a major thing to recover from and I think I managed well because i rested as much as I could even though the adrenaline made e feel full of energy.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My friend took her baby to a christening when she was just over a week old, so it can be done! It was local though.
    My son was 10 days late, so be prepared for something like that, so your baby may be very small when you go to this wedding.
    As Clematis said, be prepared to be extremely tired! I felt like a zombie for the first few weeks.
    I think the Travelodge plan is probably the best, because you can then go back there for a rest between the actual wedding and the reception or whatever. At that age babies tend to sleep a lot. My son did, especially during the day when he was out in his pram - he seemed to find the background noise comforting. Chances are your baby will sleep through the entire thing.
    If you're able to breastfeed, then i'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere quiet to do it, and if your baby cries you can take him out of the wedding to comfort him. If he's bottle fed, it's just as easy, except you have to worry about bottles being sterilised so would need to take a travel steriliser with you.
    I wouldn't have wanted to leave my baby overnight so young (in fact, still don't and he's 18 months old now) and you will probably find you don't want to be apart from him!
    Maybe provisionally book the Travelodge now, and then see how you feel once your baby is born and make a firmer decision then!

5. Thank you both
    I had not even considered what state I will be in! OH is prepared for a sober day if I can't drive bless him
    Will have a think this week :)

6. Hi,
    You really must think about yourself and how you will be feeling, you shouldn't expect too much of yourself. My little one is 10 wks and would now think about going to weddings etc...maybe I'm a wuss! I had a normal delivery with just a few stiches but it took me a month to feel anywhere 'normal' again physically...you would never believe how much you can ache etc....and friends of mine had ceasarians where you can't drive for six weeks. In a way the other two posters are right, your baby won't worry what's happening as long as it's with you...and consider you might not want to leave him even for a few hours that early...I know I wanted to be around all the time....so if you're bf/bottle you can find somewhere at the wedding to keep him going. Really though don't put too much pressure on yourself to be super woman...this is my first baby and I was in no way prepared for the ton of bricks it is...you might not feel like going to the wedding at all and that is ok! Good luck x

7. Hi, I took my baby to me brothers wedding when she was 6 weeks old. She was awake for the ceremony and the speeches - brilliant timing! - and slept through the rest! I breastfed her as and when she needed it wherever I happened to be, altho we were lucky enough to have a room at the venue so had I felt uncomortable doing it in front of people I could have gone there. As it was a family wedding, I knew pretty much everyone and they al wanted a cuddle so I got a break for most of the day! Fortunately most babies like being cuddled and she didn't object to being handed around and stayed sound asleep. My biggest hassle was finding a dress that would fit, look nice and was suitable for breastfeeding!

8. We took our wee man to a wedding at 2 weeks old. I was BFing so it was very easy. I'd say it was a lot easier then than it is now at 17 months!! [​IMG] At 4 weeks, all baby wants is to be fed, to sleep, to poo (sorry, but it's true!) and to be cuddled. I suspect there will be plenty people there to dish out cuddles, too! Enjoy it. it'll be great!
    Agree re the dress. If you are BFing, it can be difficult to find something that gives easy access! Milk Bug do some nice ones.

9. I would definitely take LO with you - I haven't managed to leave mine yet with anyone other than OH for about 25 minutes. (9 weeks old) and can't see me wanting to yet but I would definitely go with your LO to the wedding - like others have said they sleep lots in early days and you can't predict what they will do! - can always leave if you need to
    x

10. It is possible- but might be hard, depending on if baby is late/ how well you are healing.
    At that age, my daughter just slept, ate and pooed so as long as you can get somewhere private to feed, you will be fine (you may be happy doing it in front of everyone, but it is a bit harder at a big party.) At 5 months it is getting harder as she is so distracted she won't sleep when new people are around.
    I managed a 60th party when my daughter was 11 days and she slept through it... It was actually her due date the party was held on so we were lucky I made it! But it was an afternoon thing and I could sit down.
    I think the tiredness will still be very much with you, so you are unlikely to want to be staying late - if you can get a hotel room so you can go and rest. I found that being around too many people at that age was far too much at times.... You could have a 2 week old and having far less sleep than you would ever expect. I think it will feel like a long day.
    I also think, when that baby comes, there will be no way you will want to leave him/her for a night.

11. You're not a wuss. This is certainy how myself and all my close friends felt. I had to miss our vry good friends' wedding when LO was 2 weeks old. I had thought that I would manage, but couldn't have even comprehended it once he was actually here. Normally, I'm never one to miss out on a party, but I couldn't have cared less that I didn't go - I just wanted to lie down! For about the first 4 weeks just sitting down talking made me feel so exhausted that I felt literally ill. I know that you've probably heard it dozens of times before, but there really aren't words to describe the tiredness of those first few weeks.

12. This is exactly what I was trying to say...thanks misstutu :) even though we'd been to ante-natal classes and talked about what it might be like I don't think you can really imagine it.

13. Yes, I would agree with Historychick- the baby will be fine but it could well be you who doesn't fancy it... Nothing can prepare you for what having a baby will be like... You will be tired and hormonal, you could have a 2 week old.... you may be a bit sore... I don't want to sound negative, as I love having a baby but it is hard to commit to something when you don't know how you will feel.
    My daughter cluster fed in the evenings- and still does- so I would be stuck to the sofa for hours and it was draining. I wouldn't fancy a whole wedding.... Be kind to yourself- it is so hard to prepare for having a baby as it changes everything.,,

14. Thank you so much for your advice ladies......we are going to tentatively book the travel lodge and see how I feel when the time comes.....So long as OH makes it I think all will be well xx

15. We went to a wedding when our LO was 5 days old. I have absolutely no idea how I did it. Good job I was wearing a black dress and the milk everywhere didn't show! I agree with what the other posters have said about tiny babies being portable and easy to manage at a day like that - it was me that found it hard work. Just talking made me feel wobbly, but I'm glad we did it - it was good to do something a little bit normal and see people, and I was still on a bit of a high from having such a beautiful little baby safe and sound.
    One thing that really helped - family came round to help us get ready. Don't underestimate the time and mental effort required to organise two sleep-deprived people and a new baby into showers and clean clothes and packed up in the car! Also physically there is no way I could have driven.
    Good luck with everything