1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to switch off after work

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giggles_88, Sep 16, 2011.

1. I accept that teaching is a job that you bring home with you every night. I accept that I will spend my evenings planning/cutting/laminating sometimes, and some weekends shopping for resources. I cannot accept that when DO have time to do other things or come to go to sleep at night my brain is still buzzing with things from school!! Occasionally it may be something that has bothered me, but usually it is just things that have been/are going on, what's planned etc.
    I've tried going swimming late in the evening, having lists written down so I know I've not got anything to forget but it's still not working, does anyone else have this problem/know how to stop!
    Thanks so much, from Miss Sleepy!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I confess I haven't had a full night's sleep since term began ... unlike me.

3. Ah well at least it's not just me! [​IMG]

4. Msz

I was making lists at 3.40am [​IMG]

5. I've been bringing stuff home to work on, planning, laminating, reading etc but I always try and stop at 9pm and watch some TV or read.
    My problem is when I wake up at about 3am, need the toilet and then can't go back asleep as I'm thinking about an activity, a child or some other school related thing!
    i'm hoping next week when we have all 28 children in everyday that I will be so tired I sleep right through!
    Louise

6. I've had all my class in from day 2, but this just seems to mean I have more to think about haha!

7. I would have thought that exercise late on would actually give you energy rather than help you sleep. It does me anyway. Have you tried a good book and a hot bath? Or just a good book. I find if I read until my eyes can't stay open then I have no problem getting to sleep. However if I do go to the toilet in the night I sometimes have trouble getting back to sleep. Think it comes with the job. That is why we need regular holidays to recharge our batteries.
    Hope you sleep well tonight! [​IMG]

8. I shall sleep well but no doubt be awake at 6.30am - arrrgghh!!![​IMG]

9. It IS hard to switch off! Why am I browsing on here at 22.35 on a Friday night? Thanks for the reminder and Good Night!

10. Reading this thread was just like looking inside my own head!

As well as enormous work worries I have had a terrible few years domestically and got to the point where I didn't feel as though I was sleeping at all. I must have been snatching 5 minutes here and there throughout the night but never felt as though I had been properly asleep and seemed to look at the clock every 5 - 10 mins.

What worked for me was yoga and (drastic this one) hypnotherapy. I now use yoga breathing techniques to relax and the hypnotherapy helped me to work through my need to be perfect at absolutely everything I do. I do still have sleepless nights but they are now the exception rather than the rule.

Also, although I'm breaking my rule now I try not to work or use my computer after 9pm ... so, off to bed and a book I go.

11. Msz

I've been getting through 4 novels a week [​IMG]

12. I know exactly what you mean, it seems to be a teachers lot! I used to sleep like a log before becoming a teacher, now I am a serial insomniac! I now work part-time, which helps as I have at least 2 good nights! Not helpful I realise! But I have been told that CBT can help, as it re-trains the brain, think I will give it a try. Good luck, it is a terrible thing to be so tired you can't think what you are supposed to be doing! C

13. It's so good to know I'm not alone!! I really struggle to switch off and find myself crawling out of bed at 6am and standing in the shower going over what happened yesterday/what i am going to do today and then thinking aarrgg!!! why does work have to be the first thing i think off every morning? I am trying really hard to go to bed earlier and read before going to sleep and so far this term it has been helping but i still dream about it all :(