1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to support kids remotely in the lead up to their exam

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by piersonal, May 3, 2012.

1. I'm a probationer secondary maths teacher with my S5 now just weeks away from their Intermediate 2 exam. I am REALLY keen to help them wherever and whenever I can and this includes when they go off on study leave.
    I want to therefore establish something online whereby they can post up a question or better still a photo of the problem and either a colleague or I can then help them. I have no idea if this will work or how popular it will be but I want to give it a try.
    Problem is it can't really be a simple blog site as I want it to be able to cater for photos - maths questions are hard to type ... and photos are easier, which is the name of the game. Does anyone have any suggestions therefore what I could use for this?
    I was wondering about facebook but am also very aware of the problems associated to this. I was therefore deliberating on getting one of them to create a page themselves so that it has nothing to do with me - indeed I might not even be able to contribute / answer the questions but at least I might still be able to see how they are doing.
    What does everyone think? Am I being naive to think this will work??
    Piers

2. I'm a probationer secondary maths teacher with my S5 now just weeks away from their Intermediate 2 exam. I am REALLY keen to help them wherever and whenever I can and this includes when they go off on study leave.
    I want to therefore establish something online whereby they can post up a question or better still a photo of the problem and either a colleague or I can then help them. I have no idea if this will work or how popular it will be but I want to give it a try.
    Problem is it can't really be a simple blog site as I want it to be able to cater for photos - maths questions are hard to type ... and photos are easier, which is the name of the game. Does anyone have any suggestions therefore what I could use for this?
    I was wondering about facebook but am also very aware of the problems associated to this. I was therefore deliberating on getting one of them to create a page themselves so that it has nothing to do with me - indeed I might not even be able to contribute / answer the questions but at least I might still be able to see how they are doing.
    What does everyone think? Am I being naive to think this will work??
    Piers

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I have a dropbox folder which my yr 11s can access with all ppts from this year, past papers etc.
    Although we don't do this - you could easily have a folder in the folder where they can submit photos / documents - you could then access them - amend the document and put it back in the folder for them to see.
    Alternatively - just do it one on one through your school email! Very safe as you have a record of all interactions.

4. Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I'm intrigued: how does this dropbox folder work? Where is it? On Glow?
    As for email, yes this was going to be my last resort if nothing more communal worked out, at least this way they can get in touch with me which is the key requirement. Just nice if I can share these learning opportunities with the whole class rather than individually.
    Having looked online I have now stumbled across Moodle which I have heard of in the past. Does anyone know anything about this or something similar??

5. Feel free to use the "Follow It Up" section on Ask NRICH. Although it was set up for following up out of school events, there's no reason why you couldn't use it with your class. You can start a thread, and students can register themselves. Images and documents can be uploaded, and there is some support for mathematical notation. The disadvantage is that the forum can be read by anyone - your students might want to make sure their screenname is recognisable by you but not others - initials or similar. We also discourage people from saying what school they're from, so you should avoid the school name in your thread title ("Mr P's S5" might do). The forum is moderated - I read everything posted within a few hours, so if they get silly then action would be taken for you.
    I'd be interested to see whether it works - do e-mail me at the address given on Ask NRICH if you want to ask more.

6. 576

No idea what Glow is.
    Dropbox is situated at www.dropbox.com
    it's basically a file sharing / online storage facility.

7. 576

8. Hi - I use Wordpress blogs for my Year 11s - they allow you to insert images into your posts, so that wouldn't be a problem and once it is actually set up, adding new posts is really quick. They can post comments if they need further advice, which you can moderate and to which you can respond.

Dropbox is an online storage tool, whereby you can share folders with other people by right clicking on the desired folder for sharing and enter their e-mail address. They will need to accept the sharing of the dropbox folder, setting up an account and installing dropbox first if necessary. It also works well for quick and easy sharing of files with students. If you PM me an e-mail address I'll share my GCSE ICT folder with you so you can see how it works.

Cheers

MTV

9. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

We have a wiki page and our learning mentor does a 'wikid party' on the Sunday evening before the exam.

10. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I use Moodle and have a course for each year - it's excellent for providing students with resources they can use at home.
    Depending on the tech support you have maybe Moodle would be a pain to set up?
    Maybe a wiki? I have used Wikispaces which is excellent and free.
    Maths is a pain to write online - when I am replying to student queries I sometimes use an online whiteboard,

11. Thank you so much to everybody who has replied, this feedback is brilliant. Glow is an
    IT SharePoint system used by Scotland athough unfortunately its clunky
    and kids don't know their username and password, let alone use it, so despite how much I'm being encouraged to use
    it for this, its not a viable option so close to the exams.
    So I will have a look at Dropbox, Moodle, WordPress and NRich and see how I get on. I may well adopt more than one - as I need something now but also something for next year, so thank you once again to everybody so far.

12. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

WordPress is awesome - I use it for all my blogs, including one where I post all my students' homework! Nobody can ever say to me they didn't know what their homework was!
    I am referring to WordPress.com which is totally free. Some useful WordPress links in my first ever post