1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to structure yr 3 maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KirstyBennett, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I am an NQT and new to all this. About to take on a yr 3 class - there are no maths books to work from, and the nat. strategies website seems to be in meltdown. Is it usual not to have anything to work from? Obviously I can make up my own worksheets and find fantastic stuff on the interweb, but I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel!
    Any advice?
    Cheers, K

2. Hi there,
    I am an NQT and new to all this. About to take on a yr 3 class - there are no maths books to work from, and the nat. strategies website seems to be in meltdown. Is it usual not to have anything to work from? Obviously I can make up my own worksheets and find fantastic stuff on the interweb, but I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel!
    Any advice?
    Cheers, K

3. You can find long and medium term planning for the old and new frameworks at http://www.ness.uk.com/maths.htm. There are also loads of the Strategy documents and resources (like the ITPs and the Excel activities) which should give you plenty to work from!

4. In the past, I have used the 100 Maths Framework Lessons for my medium term plans. I can send you my first one for the Autumn term if you like?

5. NOOOOO....[​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd have to echo that wail! Please do not use anything so dull, boring, unrelated to your class. Yes it will make your life easy, but it will not make your lessons good.

Look on Cumbria's site for lots of exciting and interesting maths activities and outline plans. Do not waste your money buying anything, nor your time copying someone else's. I know it is scary to do your own, but that is the only way you will have good enough lessons.

Also look on the resources section here and put together your own plans that suit you and your class.

7. I should mention that I only used them to look at the objectives in a more organised fashion, and as a starting point. They do make life easier in that sense, but I agree the lessons are dull!

8. http://numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=131
    has some really good suggestions for all the year groups and all the blocks. There is also another fab website from a council that has loads of stuff, but I can't find it! I'll keep looking.....