1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to structure the rehearsal of a play / learning lines?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by anon3702, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    For my group's final half term the pupils will be performing either a Cinderella or Aladdin pantomime with the final performance being in the last week of term. As of now, the following 6 weeks will be rehearsal time for the pupils to learn their lines, develop their characters and get ready for the final performance. The majority of pupils work well on their own, however there are a number of boys who are repeatedly silly if they are left to their own devices!
    So my question is, how could I structure the lessons to give pupils the freedom to practice for themselves but at the same time ensuring they are working appropriately and are on task?

2. I would say, if the opportunity is there, use the lower sixth pupils to help direct it. Get them to work with/supervise the pupils. If that is not possible, get some other keen staff involved. The latter is probably more difficult.

We have Junior House plays at the end of this term for the Y9 and 10 pupils. It would never be co-ordinated by the pupils themselves and we just dont have the time or staff to direct them. As a part of the A level transition the AS students have to direct the shows. We just help them tick along and sort out the technical organisation. Roll on Summer!

3. Is this class time or extra curricular? If it's lesson time then I would set them a target each lesson. So, for example, the objective of one lesson would be that by the end, each group must have blocked out the physical movements of their piece (and written entrances/exits/movements etc in their scripts as PROOF!)

Lesson two would be about characterisation and I would give them some character decision sheets to fill in as well. Things like performance decision (i.e. Standing with stiff, upright posture, stern facial expression. Low, deep voice) and reason why (to show that he was an authoritative character who was angry about the situation created!)

etc etc.

I'd give them a timetable from the outset with a brief explanation of the outline of the next few weeks and then give them more detail for each lesson.

Does that make sense?

4. If they are typical a few will learn it, some will half learn it and some will never learn and will perform with books in their hands and there is probably not a lot you can do about it. It will have the feeling of an unsatisfactory experience for all concerned - especially you. It is probably the least effective way of teaching students how to handle script. Sorry to be so pessimistic. There are better ways of doing panto.
    Try dividing the script up into very short sections which have to be learnt, rehearsed and performed each lesson. Give them ten minutes to learn it and then take their scripts off them so that they have to rehearse and then perform without scripts. Which scripts are you using?