1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to stop it getting worse

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by princessdiaries, Jul 27, 2011.

1. I don't know if I'll express this very well so I apologise in advance if it makes little to no sense. I am just wondering if anyone else has periods like this, where what starts as feeling a bit low/down/fed up slowly turns into a really bad depression where you feel very bad indeed.
    I can feel myself heading that way again but I am not sure how to stop it and I do WANT to stop it.
    x

2. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Drugs! I would recommend st johns wort for staving off the initial signs of depression. Less effective later on I found. (But remember the effect they can have on contraceptives!)
    To be honest I have been there many times and this proved to be the only repeatedly successful intervention. Obviously there are prescription anti-depressants, but I would say use that as a last resort as I think they are better for pulling you up when you're already at the bottom, and can come with some nasty side effects!
    I hope you find something, as its not a nice place to be when you can see it coming and feel powerless to do much about it.
    x

3. Thanks for replying, unfortunately medication doesn't really seem to agree with me so I just have to try and struggle through it. [​IMG]
    I don't do a very good job, though ...

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Counselling

5. You know what I'm going to say. Go to your GP and ask for antidepressants. Nip it in the bud. If this is a repeated cycle of fine/sliding/depression then it's almost certainly neurochemically-based and will respond quickest to meds. If you're taking something else that usually rules out antidepressants (and if you're rejecting them to avoid putting on weight then only you can decide what makes you feel crapper) then discuss the alternatives to that medication.
    And by all means avail yourself of any counselling that could possibly be going.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Many, many years ago, my depression was vastly improved by SSRI antidepressants. There are different varieties ,and your GP may be able to prescribe something that does agree with you and does make a difference.
    Lots of us are prone to recurrence of times when we get down. I had some excellent support and advice from lovely people here on TES a few weeks ago.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/504426.aspx?PageIndex=1

Very helpful in getting over minor episode - feeling fine now - but for the big stuff, you really do need to get back to your GP.

7. thanks for replies
    Joli (and lily), I have tried counselling, I truly honestly don't think it's for me, it doesn't seem to make any difference at all (I could understand it making me feel worse, even) but I just feel the same.
    I guess I do need to try meds but I do worry a lot about the side effects. I don't normally even take paraceatamol for headaches so taking brain altering drugs on a daily basis is quite a daunting prospect. And yes I do worry a LOT about the weight gain in particular but nausea/vomiting, exhaustion, wind (!) have all been other less than pleasant side effects. And I would like to try for a baby soon and can't if I'm on ADs so lots to think about.
    Thnak you x

8. Thank you Torey. I've tried a couple of different types of medication but each time the side effects made me feel so ill I just couldn't cope - I know that this is part of the issue but with the last lot even swallowing a sip of water made me feel like being sick, I just felt awful.
    Thanks again x

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If you decide that you do want to try medication again (and remember that they work best with a talking therapy) you may find it helpful to have a <u>short</u> course of diazapam alongside it. This will help you get over the initial side effects.
    Personally I think your best option is to look at a therapy other than counselling. x

10. do you mind me asking what is available? x

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

There's psychotherapists and clinical psychologists. There are also lots of different therapies that they can use. CBT is a common one. EMDR is one for trauma. It depends on what the underlying reason is and what they think you need. They go beyond what a counsellor would offer.

12. Thanks, I guess I am a bit wary because of being asked to do strange things in the past but it is worth a shot x

13. I found CBT helpful, much more so than counselling. I have recently started running and found that has boosted my mood amazingly. I have been on ADs most of my adult life, but now feel that I could come off them. My PND was much worse with my second child, I thought I would be better able to cope but he was a much different baby ( and person in general!) than his brother. My therapist did make me do some homework, and it was tough at times, but it did really help. Take care.

14. Not read replies, not had time- will get back in more detail later... Not a miracle cure or anything, but hypnotherapy has helped me along with other bits and pieces

Please try and get support,
    (((PD)))
    will get back to this properly tomorrow xx

15. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I had CBT and found it really good. It gives you skills so that when you feel yourself begin to slide back into depression you know what to do about it.

16. There are more than a couple to try and some times it takes trial and error.
    I was given some advice about Amitriptoline.
    Most people who are prescribed it give up after a week because of the side effeects. Or they take it intermitantly.
    The advice I was given was to take two weeks off and take them every night, the first week I was a zombie, the second I started to feel better and by the end of the second week the only side effect was that I could sleep all night without needing the toilet - result.

Obviously you have a young child so it might not be so easy for you, and you might be prescribed something else but do give yourself a chance for them to start working.
    good luck with whatever you decide

17. I had CBT but it really didn't help me- I don't think I was right for it, but everyone suits very different things.
    I think it is important to recognise that something needs to be done, and making a move to start it. I have also found herbal medicine has worked- she was a very well regarded practitioner and it was combined with hypnosis as well.... I sound like a bit of a hippy, but I really am not.

You need to persue treatments until something works- I know you really want another baby but it is important to get on top of your mental health before you do- maybe set that as a target.

18. Maybe get on with doing something. You've been bemoaning your mental state for months, maybe even years on here, but you still aren't doing anything about it. A couple of lukewarm attempts at ADs doesn't count. If you don't make your mind up to tackle it soon, the baby hormones will overtake you and you'll be up the duff with a baby you won't be a mentally well mother for.