1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to stay positive- help with behaviour management

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by catdog74, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a NQT and I am struggling with a 5/6 class. Mostly things are okay, but nowhere near the standard set by other staff in the school. Some issues I have are students calling out, general noise and silliness ( by a few students) when coming into or going out of the room, sometimes a kid will jump up and hit the top of the door on the way out ( a HUGE no no in my school), small but very irritating acts of defiance. General noise can also be an issue. Anyway my problem is when I feel like things are slipping from my grasp I tend to get quite negative in the way I react... I try to avoid shouting but I have at times become quite angry and shouted and then handed out discipline like a maniac! How to stay postive and calm, even when the standards in the class are slipping, or students are acting out...I am finding this tough and I know it is my personal issue. The way I respond to the students affects them also, so I need to keep positive and calm. Perhaps part of this is because I feel I need to prove myself as a NQT, and ensure my class is at the same standard as the rest of the school. Any tips for how to remain positive and calm?

2. Hi, I am a NQT and I am struggling with a 5/6 class. Mostly things are okay, but nowhere near the standard set by other staff in the school. Some issues I have are students calling out, general noise and silliness ( by a few students) when coming into or going out of the room, sometimes a kid will jump up and hit the top of the door on the way out ( a HUGE no no in my school), small but very irritating acts of defiance. General noise can also be an issue. Anyway my problem is when I feel like things are slipping from my grasp I tend to get quite negative in the way I react... I try to avoid shouting but I have at times become quite angry and shouted and then handed out discipline like a maniac! How to stay postive and calm, even when the standards in the class are slipping, or students are acting out...I am finding this tough and I know it is my personal issue. The way I respond to the students affects them also, so I need to keep positive and calm. Perhaps part of this is because I feel I need to prove myself as a NQT, and ensure my class is at the same standard as the rest of the school. Any tips for how to remain positive and calm?

3. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Staying calm is sometimes a big problem, catdog.
    I think the reason we get angry is that we are behaving reactively toward behaviour: they push our buttons. Try to avoid showing them that they've done that.
    Be firm with sanctions. Clearly set out your expectations about shouting out, leaving the room in the proper manner, etc.
    Do you practice your scripts? Have you thought about what to say and how to say it? Practice in front of the mirror what to say when facing down a pupil. Know your limit, the point at which you say "You must now stay behind / report to the HOD" etc.
    We get angry when a pupil doesn't do what we want: at the first sign that a pupil is in that frame of mind, bring the interaction to a close with a sanction. Never get into debates with a pupil ("Why are you talking?" is a killer).
    It's about being absolutely prepared in the steps you will take to deal with misbehaviour: "That's a warning" / "Move your seat" / "go to the HOD". You don't need anything more than your discipline hierarchy, and you should deliver that in a manner which is impersonal; try to express sadness that they've disappointed you rather than anger that they've defied you.
    And, of course, you can stay positive by emphasizing as much as possible the positive side of the class. Praise and reward like crazy all those things that you admit yourself are "okay". Being positive about the things which work well keeps you in the right frame of mind as well as them
    Good luck.

4. Thanks for the reply, excellent advice- especially about having a script and practising in front of the mirror. I think I need to get more prepared with how I will take actionb so when problems start I know excatly how to react with sanctions. Thanks for the advice- I'm off to find a mirror!
    :)