1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to start the Tudors?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hi, I am about to start 2 terms on the Tudors, 1st term is going to be more everyday life etc (no Royals, Henry VIII etc til after half term) but not sure how to start it off other than looking at who/when the tudors were, even then am stuck for ideas for activities etc especially the first 3 days of term when I want to kick start the topic before going into detail. Any ideas?

2. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I'd start it with a song - A and C Black has one called The Truth about The Tudors. I would let the children listen several times and ask them to make notes to feed back on something they now know about the Tudors and something they'd like to know about them. I have used this method several times and it really fires their imagination and makes hem want to know more about the topic. Then, of course, I'd teach them the song and enjoy singing it. You could structure our teaching around the song and begin your lessons with it.

3. You could start with a book, a film, an artefact, a letter (contrived by you) from a Tudor person or a study of a Tudor building. However you choose to kick start the topic, encourage questions from your pupils that could be answered as you develop the topic. Good luck!

4. Have just sent you a message. Where do you live in England and when does your term start?