1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to start poetry with a year 1 class

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by veronik8419, May 2, 2011.

1. I am about to have an observation as an NQT in a year 1 class that I don't know and I am wondering what will make a good impact on both the children and the teachers observing me. It has to be a poetry lesson and the children are at the begining of the topic.
    Is the royal wedding still relevent? If so what other ideas do you have appart from acrostic poems which I don't think are suitable for year1?
    I was thinking to start with a variaty of poems on the walls, read them one by one and discuss a little then ask the children which one was their favourite.Is this to much to cover in 45 min?appart from familiarising with a range of poems what other lesson objectives can I have.
    Please help, my experience with poetry is not to vast.

2. I recently had a great poetry lesson with a year 1 class.
    I started with some nonsence poems and then went on to write a class poem using the magic box (see link below) poem lesson plan and was really pleased with the result. As a PGCE student I was worried about teaching poetry but it turned out to be one of my favourite lessons so far.
    http://www.poetryclass.net/lessona.htm
    If you give me your email I can send the lesson plan through.
    Hope this helps!