1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to start leading a new team?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by kritur, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I'm secondary but we've just had a new boss and I can tell you a few things not to do!
    Don't go in and try and change things straight away, get a feel for the place first and figure out what everyone's like and what their strengths and weaknesses are.
    When you do have to change something make sure everyone is consulted and things are communicated. Nothing worse than being told after the event!
    Lead by example as a teacher, don't tell your team to do something you can't or won't do yourself.
    Try and find out a bit about each member of your team and let them know some things about you.
    Use your team to help you, their expertise in knowing how the school runs will be invaluable.

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

You don't say what has happened at the school, or why you have been taken on, although I assume from what you have actioned already, there is an issue with English. The first half term is very short, so I'd certainly hang on til after then and wait for all the assessments to be out of the way. You can then spend the first half term getting up to date with what has been achieved at the school, and will have time to take a look at what has been happening this year and see if there are any issues that need resolving or that staff feel they need help with. I'd be inclined to do lots of talking and finding out during the summer term, develop a plan that the rest of SLT is happy with and be ready to make changes in the autumn - maybe via INSET. You just need to remember, that what is happening in school will be as a result of the existing SLT and the previous leader in your job. The teachers will in the main be following the direction they have been given. Tread carefully!

3. ....say thank you when offered asked for advice? [​IMG]