1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to spend a few days in Chester

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blondehecate, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Well you were all so hopeful when I asked for advice about Canterbury with my boyfriend that thought I'd do the same this time for a few days away with Mum in Chester.
    We have our hotel sorted so that's not a problem but wondering on advice about Chester and surrounding areas....being Mum and daughter we will be shopping and looks like Cheshire Oaks Retail outlet is a definite must do! What about Chester itself??
    Many thanks in anticiaption.....

2. Hi all,
    Well you were all so hopeful when I asked for advice about Canterbury with my boyfriend that thought I'd do the same this time for a few days away with Mum in Chester.
    We have our hotel sorted so that's not a problem but wondering on advice about Chester and surrounding areas....being Mum and daughter we will be shopping and looks like Cheshire Oaks Retail outlet is a definite must do! What about Chester itself??
    Many thanks in anticiaption.....

3. Shopping in Chester is lovely, it's not as busy as Manchester and there are a lot more smaller shops (rather than just the usual bland high street). You could also go for high tea at the Grosevenor hotel (think that's what it's called) on the main street, they also do a champagne version. There are quite a few spas in Chester so maybe try those, I always find the Dove spa very reasonable. Chester zoo is worth a walk around if the weather is good. There are lovely places to eat in teh centre of Chester as well.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Walk the walls, all round. A lot of the one-off shops are in The Rows, the olde worlde first floor arcades that face out onto the main shopping streets. Down by the River Dee can be quite pleasant in good weather.

Eating - Francs and La Tasca in Cuppin Street, also Chez Jules in Northgate Street - a bit further out of the centre try The Red House by the river on Dee Banks.

For a brisk uphill walk, a bit of history and a spectacular all round view on a clear day try Beeston Castle near Tarporley. If you like trees there's Delamere Forest.

Nice place - you should enjoy it.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You can drive on out to Port Sunlight village on the Wirral and visit Lady Levers Gallery - it's a lovely little gallery in a fascinating place.

6. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

Chester and cheshire oaks are good for shopping. Hickorys is a lovely eating place down by the river. Cathedral, museum, amphitheatre and zoo are all worth a look. You are also very near the north Wales coast llandudno and conway or llangollen are all nice places to see.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

My friend says there is an excellent bit of Roman building (baths?) preserved underneath a branch of Spudulike. You only have to ask and they will let you have a look, and you don't have to buy a spud first!

8. We really enjoyed the boat trip down the river if the weather is nice!

9. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

It's true about the Roman viewings in spud u like on bridge street also in miss selfridge I think!

10. I also recommend walking the walls. The river is nice if the weather is clement and you can take a boat trip. They do an open top bus touristy thing that you can hop on and off. If you do the Cathedral, then there is a nice place to eat down a small alleyway by the opticians that is opposite the cathedral (Duttons). Can get busy but the food is worth it. There is a small museum too that my kids enjoy going to.
    Chester zoo is good.
    Cheshire oaks has lots of shops, cinemas, restaurants and bowling. The blue planet aquarium is also there.
    Enjoy your trip. The atmosphere in Chester can be brilliant.

11. I like Chester....

There was [sure there still will be] a restaurant called The Watergate. I know it up above the main shops but.....it is gorgeous and they used to have a deal on a Tuesday where you buy a glass of wine and they refill it free of charge all night :)