1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to solve the UK's transport problem in the time of coronavirus I The Guardian

Discussion in 'Geography' started by AndrewvanZyl, Jun 3, 2020.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Those who can, should go back to work, Boris Johnson has said. But how will people get to work safely? If we take public transport, will there be enough space to physically distance? If we take the car, will the roads cope with all the extra traffic? Josh Toussaint-Strauss tries to figure out some answers, with the help of Peter Walker and Matthew Taylor

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

It disgusts me that there isn't enough room for pedestrians to walk in safety becasue of traffic on the roads. I am glad to see cars being banned from some roads, to make space for pedestrians, but nowhere near enough.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Now might be a time to consider what a bicycle lane actually is. It isn't parallel lines painted on a sloped bit of root infested pavement. Holland knows what a bike lane should look like.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I think roads should be open to all road users at the moment . Travelling by Car is currently by far the safest method of travelling, if wherever you are going is not is within walking/cycling distance, just from the fact that you can isolate from other people. People who are going to work might prefer to drive rather than get public transport until things improve. We had to go to a medical centre yesterday, in another town. We drove-no way was I going on the train and mixing with lots of other people. I am in no rush to go on trains or busses at the moment unless I absolutely have to.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020