1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to simplify planning.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sideshowbob, Mar 14, 2007.

1. I have inherited a load of planning which is complex and cumbersome. No long term plan. Weekly ELG, plans for the space and focus activities, profiles and portfolios, assessment of activities. I want to simplify it so the team can understand it without having to cross reference everything. We are an integrated setting.

Initially, I was thinking of planning for the space around areas of good practice with the team, after a few weeks we'd have a weekly rolling plan which we could tweak. Alongside this I was going to have focus activities linked explicitly to areas of learning on one A3 format with assessment which would change from week to week. With observations I could start PLODs on Birth to 3 and FS and all the plans should then link in. Can anyone help me? I need to know if this is the way forward or if there is an easier way. I just can't plan the previous supervisor's way. I need to give my team ownership of the planning or nothing will work.

2. I have inherited a load of planning which is complex and cumbersome. No long term plan. Weekly ELG, plans for the space and focus activities, profiles and portfolios, assessment of activities. I want to simplify it so the team can understand it without having to cross reference everything. We are an integrated setting.

Initially, I was thinking of planning for the space around areas of good practice with the team, after a few weeks we'd have a weekly rolling plan which we could tweak. Alongside this I was going to have focus activities linked explicitly to areas of learning on one A3 format with assessment which would change from week to week. With observations I could start PLODs on Birth to 3 and FS and all the plans should then link in. Can anyone help me? I need to know if this is the way forward or if there is an easier way. I just can't plan the previous supervisor's way. I need to give my team ownership of the planning or nothing will work.

3. Hello,

I am a teacher in a Children's Centre. I have just introduced new planning formats which we are currently introducing. We take the FS curriculum guidance as our long term plans. We have medium term plans (half termly) for the 6 areas of development and also for the continuous provision areas. We then have a weekly enhancement plan for the areas of provision and adult led activities throughout the week. Although the plans are drawn up in advance, working towards the stepping stones and ELGs, our short term (weekly) plans are observation led and we do not let ourselves get tied down with following the medium term plans to the letter-we use these more as a guidance for possible activities.

In terms of the Birth -3, we don't work to topic led plans. In baby room, each key worker has their own weekly planning sheet for their key children which is completely observation led. The 2-3s share our foundation stage room so they add to our weekly enhancement plans, highlighting their activities in a different colour. For adult led activities, they use the same sheet as the baby room and these are again planned as a direct result of observations, sometimes weekly, sometimes daily.

I can send you copies of the formats if you like if you think they may be of any help.

4. Thanks, working mum. Do you use a PLOD format? How many adult focus activities would you do in a morning? I need to get an e-mail address which protects my identity, but I''l post it when I do.

5. Hello,

I would only have 1 adult led activity per morning but this would depend on the size of your setting and your staffing. I know of some settings where each key worker does an adult led activity with their own key worker children. Sorry, not familiar with PLOD format-what is that?

6. It stands for Personal Lines of Development, you can find examples in Birth to Three, I was going to use it for FS aswell. Basically, you plan from observations with a particular child in mind, that child has a plan, the plan will cater for others too e.g. if it is schema based etc others will automatically be interested too. Eventually every child has a PLOD running, PLODS may run for several weeks as long as the interest is maintained. I planned to have PLODs running alongside Stepping Stones/ ELG's. e.g the adult activity for the day caters to a PLOD, the continuous provision caters to ELG/ SS.

7. hello,
    Im also trying to get my head round plannig effectively with limited time with EYPs to meet with me and needing plans to be understood by all the staff in the rooms even if they werent with us when we planned! Working mum- if you see this post would you email your format to me? Would like to see the volume and format of what you do! Thanks. Of course EYFS will change our formats again!

childrenscentreteacher@hotmail.com

8. Hi workingmum

I have just been reading this thread and was wondering if it is possible for you to send me a copy of your planning formats. I have been trying to change my planning for some time and would like to be organised for September. Thanks a lot.

Lorna5_@hotmail.com

9. I've simplified my planning now down to two A4 sheets, one for rolling provision and one for areas of learning and several focus sheets. I have staff deployment and observation on a seperate rota.

10. How long do you keep your plans for?

11. I will keep mine for 5 years!

12. to re-do them?

how about the observations you do on children do we have to keep them.

13. hi workingmum,

i really need some simple planning formats.

would you mind sending me some copies too

smcoyle24@hotmail.com

thank you

14. Hi workingmum!
    Guess what I am also looking for a new format for planning and have just found your log. Could you please send a copy of your planning formats and I will be eternally grateful!!!!
    Sandy
    stephen@wayside-exelby.freeserve.co.uk