1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to set out work experience in PGCE app!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by natwest, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi guys.
    Ive just looked at the application form for the PGCE and the work experience section only allows you 20 lines to fit everything in to!
    Does anybody have any suggestions of how to set this section out and also what to include and leave out?
    Ive tried writing both passages and bullet points but it all goes way over the allowance!
    Help!

2. Hi guys.
    Ive just looked at the application form for the PGCE and the work experience section only allows you 20 lines to fit everything in to!
    Does anybody have any suggestions of how to set this section out and also what to include and leave out?
    Ive tried writing both passages and bullet points but it all goes way over the allowance!
    Help!

3. Hi,
    Iv tried setting mine out like a CV so it looks a bit like this:
    01 January - 01 March 2010 University work placement at ... (then putting here what your general responsibilities were).
    Hope this helps, but I dont think there is any set format, aslong as you can get your experience across in some sort of logical way.
    If you have too many lines, just include what is relevant to teaching.

4. Thanks for that - i'm going to give that a try next!

5. Hi,

I set mine out as above with the date and place. Then I only wrote about what I gained which would be relevant to teaching. Remember, your work experience in a school with the age range you want to work with should have been discussed in your personal statement. So for that I just listed the 2 week period and the name of the school. I got an interview from my first choice and an offer so I guess that layout was okay.

6. Slippersandagoodbook

Slippersandagoodbook New commenter

+1 for this comment.
    I would set the 20 lines out like a CV with bullet points for a maximum of three responsibilities for each position. Then I would elaborate on specifics in the personal statement, e.g. "my experience of running extra curricular clubs at school X has given me a further insight into the different behavioural challenges and how they can be most effectively managed".

7. Great, thanks for all the fantastic advice guys. Think I have it sorted now!