1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to see the bones in your hands

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Oct 6, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

This is tricky because the subject is atomic testing in Australia but the footage looks like its mostly from the US tests at Bikini Atoll, which is an entirely different event.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There was a caretaker in a school I worked in 20 or so years ago who had been on Christmas Island (he was in the army) when the Tests were carried out. He said that he saw his hand's bones through his closed eyes, whilst facing away.

Just as the veterans say in the video. Scary. Lots of his contemporaries died of cancer since, he told me at the time.

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is that maybe just that the US footage is cheap for a media company to use? Or that UK/Australian testing wasn't filmed?

Could be laziness... but the interviews are genuine yeah?

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Regardless of the origins of the video it lets people know what happened and it is horrific. It certainly makes you stop and think of the fear they must have felt.

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Not disputing the history or the testimony but the use of archive footage is misleading and I think the filmmakers were being lazy or irresponsible. They make it look like the US Air Force is nuking Australia for cryin' out loud.