1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to Retire Early

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Beltane_51, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Beltane_51

Beltane_51 New commenter

Hi Everyone!

Like a lot of 52 year old teachers, I cannot wait to get out!! I worked for 22 years, left teaching and went on supply for 2 years and now I am back in the Classroom for the last 'push'. I've got to be honest, I hate the way that education has changed and I despise the way that our voice and opinion has become squashed. I despise the workload, arrogance and ignorance of managers who do nothing to protect the well-being of their staff and the psychophantic behaviour of those who want to climb the greasy pole. Phew! Rant over...
    I now feel that I just cannot do the job. Like so many of you, I was a supposed Outstanding Teacher, Lead Teacher, Mentor, Year Head etc but now am just the miserable old fool who grunts ' We did this years ago.'
    Has anyone got any useful points of reference that I can go to for retirement advice? I loved being on Supply and would not be afraid to take this route asap as long as I had a trickle of money coming in from elsewhere.

Many thanks

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

You doing the final position thing? I've lost count if it still counts. Did it go to career average? No idea. All I can say is that as soon as I was required to cheat to make lazy stupid adolescents get whatever grade they didn't deserve, I was out, and on a salary that was about a third of what I got when I left.
    I did supply for a bit but got sick of getting up early, answering the phone and being told whilst I was on the road that they were in fact offering cover supervisor wages for what I had foolishly presumed was supply rate.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You can't claim your pension until you are 55. Any nonsense you get through the post, read in the press or get unsolicited calls about that says you can "release" your pension is nonsense.

4. xena-warrior

Does that count whatever age you are, jacob?

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Beltane-51 - I like the avatralalar.

I resigned from full-time aged 50 feeling very much the same as you do, and did 4 years of supply, averaging 3 days a week for most of that time, and a fair bit of that was pensionable. The contracts got longer as time progressed, finishing with a 12 month stint in a school I'd been getting regular work in. I think the HT had planned for me to stay, and the school was a good one but I'd had enough of the dire state the department was in so I bailed a year early. In my last year of supply I got a p/t seasonal job in a Museum which didn't clash with my teaching commitment, and that helped a bit when I left but it didn't pay much. Between age 54 and the pension I carried on the museum work and started building a small business selling collectables, which I'd done some years before as a sideline to teaching. I was fortunate in that my better half was gainfully employed in her own business, so my dropping out for a year didn't leave us starving. I now combine the pension, the small business, the museum job and a new joint venture with my missus, and between them my income is now equal to or better than what I was earning on supply. I'm not retired in the doing sod all sense of the word, but what I'm doing now is far more enjoyable and absorbing than what I left behind, and is nowhere near as stressful.

6. xena-warrior

I think you've hit the point with the o/h having a job that takes care of the essentials.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Beltane, have you had a look at the Retirement forum? There's plenty of advice and anecdotes over there which you might find useful. :)