1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to respond to Flex hours denied??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by jaebird, Jun 12, 2020.

1. jaebird

jaebird New commenter

Hello,

I have recently had my request to go back to work part time after maternity leave denied on the grounds of being unable to reallocate staff.

A second reason was given about there being a detrimental impact on quality... beside this is an editing note saying they are not sure it this is relevant. I have clearly been sent the wrong copy and am extremely upset that the quality of my teaching could be in question.

I know my head teacher well enough that an appeal is just a waste of time but I do want to address the second point.

I am unsure how to respond, could anyone offer some advice?

Thank you!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"Detrimental impact on quality" is not a comment on your teaching. It's one of the grounds that they might have for declining a request for flexible working. Some heads will try and argue that having two teachers sharing a class will be less good for the children than having a single full-time teacher, and it's that which they might call detrimental.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What frustum says ^^^

Employment Rights Act 1996 "Flexible Working" section 80G (1) (b) (v)

upload_2020-6-12_17-7-28.png

It's not a comment on your personal teaching. It's looking at the statutory grounds on which your application could be refused. "Quality" in this context means the quality of whatever product or service the organisation delivers - in a school, the overall quality of the education delivered to pupils by the school. This could be for many reasons, eg what frustum mentions.

In the event they decided that reason wasn't relevant anyway, didn't they?

Not the first time heads and managers have been embarrassed by not understanding how to delete Track Changes and Comments in Word!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020