1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to resign?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by num3bers, Nov 7, 2017.

1. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Ok it sounds a daft question. How do I resign?
    I have decided to leave my job. I am fed up ..... I want to put my notice in. Its an indi school so I have to give a terms notice anyway.

What should I do? Go and see the Head first and tell him and then give him my letter or just put a letter in the post? or does one resign by e mail these days? What does one say?

I have never resigned from anywhere. I was made redundant once. I have been in this school 10 years.

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Have a conversation with your head first and say that you will be putting your resignation in a letter - make sure you state the actual date of resignation (as in the date you will be leaving) and send a copy to the chair of governors.
    It makes it more straightforward and clear for all concerned and means you can keep the letter brief.

Cooperuk, FrankWolley and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just ask the HT.

"I'm thinking of moving on. This being an independent school though - I'm not sure what's required. Could you explain the process, please?"

tall tales and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Being an Indie, you may also want to consult the Bursar as to 'normal protocol for resigation' at the School.If too small to have one ask a Senior member of staff or the Secretary.

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

As long as you have a job to go to or can financially afford not to be in work, otherwise you could be unemployed and very fed up.

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Why do you want to leave all of a sudden? You have been in the job 10 years, it’s a long time and it seems to me from what you’ve said that times are tough and you don’t want to work there anymore. Is this correct?
    I think you need to assess the situation and think about it in more depth before you resign as you may regret it later. I speak from experience, in my 25 years of teaching, I’ve seen many teachers resign prematurely because of the tough times and then regret it later and by that time it is too late as the replacement has been employed.
    Furthermore, if you resign now you probably won’t be able to leave until Easter 2018 and to leave then you got till February 2018 to resign. Just wait out and see what happens.