1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to resign from HoD but not teaching?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by kenbriooo, Feb 27, 2017.

1. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

I'm looking for the best way to go about resigning from my HoD role but I want to remain HoY. I am the only teacher with a dual role at my school and have not been paid for the HoD role for nearly 3 years but have been paid the TLR for the the HOY. I have stuck at the dual role for a period of time as it was beneficial to my timetable but this has not been as much of a case this year. I have discussed this with the Head on a few occasions but nothing has changed, should I put it formally in writing to them and the Head of Governors?

Can they refuse?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You can't unilaterally resign from being HoD. People can't resign from bits of their job. You resign from all the job or none of it.

But resigning isn't really the best way to tackle this unless you can't come to an agreement with the school. As you admit yourself you have gained from being HoD for the previous two years, but now this year it's not so convenient you want to walk away from it. I'm not surprised the head isn't rushing to let you do that!

All you can do is ask. If the head won't agree you could submit a grievance to the governors and they would consider it under the school's grievance policy. I suspect they'll side with the head though. Or is the money that you are most unhappy about? In which case make a request for your TLR to be increased, and again if refused submit a grievance. In current financial conditions I wouldn't hold your breath.

It sounds like you have only had informal discussion with the head. To bring this to a decision point make the request to the head formal, in writing. You'll improve your chances if you can make some constructive suggestions about who could become HoD if you step down from that role. The head's unlikely to agree to your request unless either there's someone else already on staff who wants the job or you have a classroom teacher vacancy in your department that you could fill allowing the head to advertise externally for a HoD. Otherwise how would the HoD position be filled? The school won't have the money to increase staff numbers in your department just so that you can go back to being a classroom teacher.

3. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I should probably clarify and have said that it was only meant to be a temporary arrangement with the HOD role being passed on at a convenient time. This has been the case on all previous few occasions that a HOD has been appointed HOY at the school.

I have not had any additional time to do both roles in comparison to thr other HOYs in fact getting either the same or less time than the others. The only way I have benefited is by having the subject as the predominate subject on my timetable.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

But was that confirmed to you in writing and included in your contract of employment @kenbriooo ? I'll bet it wasn't. For one thing STPCD doesn't allow TLR1 or TLR2 to be awarded temporarily. It's "permanent". Whatever was said at the time is no more than an informal understanding and doesn't give you the contractual right to resign your HoD TLR unilaterally. Although reminding the head of what was said might help get their agreement. From the head's point of view the key issue remains 'who can take over the role?'

5. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Do you review your JD annually as part of the appraisal process?