1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to reduce workload?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by FollyFairy, Oct 29, 2011.

1. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

It is natural to feel drained, but are you eating correctly and drinking lots as this can make a difference. You may be anaemic and maybe need a blood test to check this out - make sure your iron levels are kept high. Your school should have done a risk assessment? Have they? This should include things about work demands etc. They have a duty of care to support you - if you are struggling, can you ask for help from your HoD/HT? Teaching is a very very demanding job at the best of times let alone when pregnant; prioritise your health and your baby over everything else! If a telephone call is not made or books not marked - it matters not in comparison to what you are carrying.

this may help: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg373.pdf

2. m55

m55 New commenter

Thanks for your replies. Haven't had a risk assessment so I'll be pushing for that next week. I have spoken to my line manager but, in retrospect, only informally so I need to make my concerns more explicit and include my HOD in this. I'm just concerned because our marking is under regular monitoring and the only way to get all homeworks in is to keep the chiddles back after school. With regards to these and other detentions if we don't do our own no-one else picks up the slack so it is a case of do them or let the kids get away with it. I will be checking up on the parental contact - passing at least some of it to our HOY as I think most of it falls under his remit anyway.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

use your HOD more... if you have given the students fair warning of h/w plus extra chance, ask them to turn up at lunch - if they do not, pass them straight onto HOD.. (as an ex-HOD I saw this as part of my job!) and have standard letters to send home when you just insert kids name re. late homework/detention - or ask secretaries to type letters home (tis admin task after all!) and skip out ringing parents re. homework, for each letter home, keep a record (paper trail!) and easier to then to pass those students who are constantly late with homework onto HOD and HOY, use them more - they get paid much more to shoulder the responsibility! If you have flexibility with homework, one thing that I have found that helped with marking and chasing homework was setting homeworks that was 4 weeks worth long - like mini-projects; those who wish to complete early can do so but then others have no excuse as they have had 4 weeks. Run catchup club for such mini-projects too as then you can also tell HOY that students have had not completed hw have had opportunities every week to turn up for extra tuition/help etc...
    And definitely push for risk assessment - they are breaking the law if they do not do one!!