1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to record bullying

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

Normally this time of the year is one of the most relaxed, however it seems that our HOD is having a slap on the wrist for not telling us information but then he is taking it out on us. This week I feel like I've been talked out of term at least twice and it was other colleagues that suggested that my HOD is actually bullying members of staff in our department.

At this point I just want to finish the term, get over it and start a fresh in September but I'm worried that his comments may not stop and this might not be the end of it but just the start which is causing me a lot of stress; because of his comments I feel like a sh*t teacher now and that I'm not capable of my job. I don't want to make a formal complaint but I do want to create an evidence log of this because it almost feels like he wants me out of a job.

I've never had to deal with anything like this before, I am in a Union but at this point I just want to monitor it and record my evidence; I'd prefer this was kept private e.g. not a file or piece of paper someone can stumble on. Any suggestions as to how would be great.

Thank you

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

You are right to consider keeping a record. This will help you to reflect on whether there is a pattern to the behaviour and whether to act on it.
    Can you keep it electronically? Preferably on a home laptop or similar.

SLouise91 likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Deep breaths, only a few days to go.However, proper recording will help you establish frequency, severity and circumstances, and then help to decide the next steps.

File on the home computer, or a little book would work.

SLouise91 likes this.
  4. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Save whatever you write to an online cloud server so it is only accessible by you. Google drive or dropbox for example. They are password protected.

You could even write it on google docs so it does not save on your computer. Clear the browser history and cookies each time, or use incognito mode on chrome, which doesn't save browsing data.

This may not work on a school machine as the network manager might have access to what you use the PC for. You could use your phone instead as a totally separate device.

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Always bcc emails to your home address

6. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Thank you all. I will try the google docs via my phone.

At the moment I'm just trying to clear my head of the negative comments but I'm finding it difficult and it's bringing a lot of anxiety with it. I just feel useless right now.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Ask the HoD to make hi/hers points to you in writing. Should he/she refuse, there is no evidence they have ever been made at all.

chelsea2 and Bonnie23 like this.
  8. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Good advice so far and I am sure it will be resolved and hopefully your HOD might even apologise ( he's got a week). IF this continues after your return get union advice that's what they are for . You also state this is causing you a lot of anxiety. Again if this continues ( affecting your health) ensure you seek professional help and record dates / consultancies with GPs and or any medication prescribed and as you rightly state ...record it.

Don't let this get to you ..it's not worth it and the summer break will no doubt allow you and hopefully your HOD to re-charge and start a fresh.

Good luck and enjoy the summer.

SLouise91 likes this.