1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to (re)install Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by margie2, Sep 29, 2018.

1. margie2

margie2 New commenter

My PC is about 6 years old and working fine but I've just tried to play a DVD on it and it won't, with this message appearing:

The file wmploc.dll has a version number of 12.0.7601.18840 where 12.0.7601.23930 was expected.

Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.

Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?

I must have had WMP as up to recently I was able to watch DVDs on my PC. (I last watched a DVD on it 3 months ago and it was working fine)

I've followed the link from the question (Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?) but was unable to see how to install WMP.

So my question is: how do you easily (re)install WMP please? (I'm not very techie so the easiest method is best). Your help would be greatly appreciated on this one, thank you :)

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This is a teaching forum, not a tech support forum.

3. margie2

margie2 New commenter

OK, but what's the best place on here to ask about IT questions? The personal thread? (which is what I've done).

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Stack exchange? Quora? Reddit?

Loads of places would be more effective than a teacher forum

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

WMP? Just say no!

Download VLC and be done with the monstrosity that is WMP.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html

WildKyogre and elder_cat like this.