1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to proceed

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anaferns, Jun 18, 2019.

1. anaferns

anaferns New commenter

Hi All

I have approached few schools from where I intend to do my teaching course. Some schools have told me to have a school experience of almost a year while some are saying that it is not mandatory.

I had a few doubts like:

1.Is it okay to start a UCAS application if I don’t have a school experience?

2.I’ve been told to do a equivalency test in only English subject. Want to how important is it to get done from an equivalency testing service or can I do it from the school only from where I will be doing the course. As some schools are offering equivalency test from their end.

3.Also about the bursary. Who can give me complete information about bursary & how do I know if I am eligible for it? (I checked with schools, they asked me to check with getintoteaching advisors. And when I checked with getintoteaching advisors they asked me to speak to the school)

4.I understand that the teaching course requires doing 4 days in school & 1 day at the university. I want to know what are the timings required at school & at the University. I am asking this, as I would need to arrange my kid's pickups & drops at school.

It would be great if anyone has any information for the above queries. It will really help me to plan my teaching course.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Cheers!

Ana

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I can only answer these two:

1. If you've never spent time in a UK school, how can you know you want to teach in one? How can you explain your reasons for your career choice? How can you show that you are able to reflect on the school experience? Having said that, if you're applying for a shortage subject like maths it probably won't matter.

3. See link: https://getintoteaching.education.g...rsaries-and-scholarships-for-teacher-training. The amount you are entitled to depends on the subject you want to train in, your qualifications, and if you meet residency requirements (3 years in UK/EU prior to start of course).

3. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I can help with point 4.

Most schools will expect you in school from 8am ( primary) to 8.30 at the latest in secondary. After school finishes there will usually be meetings or training.

Some schools will let you leave 10 minutes after the students have left, if you have no meetings, others insist on you staying to an arbitrary time such as 4.30 or 5pm. Of course parents evenings and the like mean a finish time of between 6.30 and 7pm.

As for university, it depends on what time your course starts and finishes.