1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to prepare?!?!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by bekiquinn9, May 8, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I have got on to a PE PGCE to start in August and I am wondering what I can do to prepare. Any ideas on what I can do to make next year easier?!?

Beki

2. Hi All,

I have got on to a PE PGCE to start in August and I am wondering what I can do to prepare. Any ideas on what I can do to make next year easier?!?

Beki

3. Hi Beki
    I wouldn't say there is that much to do before you start. Only things I can think of is:
    - Read up on the specifications (just go to AQA/OCR/Edexcel etc websites) for GCSE / A level so you know what topics you can expect to teach and read up on anything you might be a bit rusty on
    - Books such as getting the b**** to behave are useful, but I'd say to wait and read them more closely to starting your placements
    - Buy some stationery? Just thought I'd round it up to 3 tips!
    Enjoy the summer off mainly, your course may set you some pre-course tasks such as to complete a CV, write something etc but if not then you won't be expected to do much more!

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Get the rest of your life in order. Fix the dripping tap, if you were going to make space in the dining room to use as an office, do that now.
    Buy Birthday & Chirstmas cards, fill them in and address them. File them in date order so you can just put them in the post at the right time.
    If you've been planning to go to the gym and lose half a stone.. do that now..
    Likely to need dental work...?
    Essentially, for many people, a PGCE is full-on, not least because almost everything you do every day will be something you haven't done before so it will take you at least 3x as long to prepare for than things you're used to doing. You may not end up being one of those people who mark books until 11pm and then get up at 3am to plan lessons - but if that does happen to you (it's most likely to be during your second placement), then you can help yourself by having the rest of your life outside your PGCE organised and working properly.

5. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

sleep sleep and sleep as you will get none while on placement. buy stationary, lots of it, mainly folders and plastic wallets and suitable work clothes including very very comfortable shoes that you are happy to wear for a whole school day without sitting for any longer than about 3 minutes. buy gcse text books for your subject and make sure you have a solid subject knowledge.