1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to prepare for my first Deputy Interview?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by emacd21, Aug 21, 2019.

1. emacd21

emacd21 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    After being a Head of Faculty for many years I have decided to take the plunge and look at moving into a Deputy position in a Catholic School. How do you prepare for questions at the next level? What are they likely to ask? Any help is appreciated!
    E

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

With it being a Catholic school, this will be a heavy part of the interview so make sure you are au fait with everything a Catholic Headteacher needs to consider (as you could end up stepping up to this role with no notice).

Generally, make a list of all the things you've led which have had a whole school impact and make sure you know the non-curriculum side, e.g. attendance, PP spending, etc.

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

As you are applying for a Deputy Headteacher role in a catholic school- the main requirement for this position is that you are a catholic- are you?
    It is usually a requirement for the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher to be.
    They will also ask you to emphasise on your experience as a leader and how your skills, attributes and values will be compatible with what the school are looking for.
    Obviously, every school has different requirements but I would have a read of the personal specification and job description in particular to establish if you meet the standard criteria for the vacancy.

4. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

Here goes, I am a CoG so would be chairing the panel that interviews you. This is what the panel would want to see:
    • that you have gone through the person spec and tick all the boxes, including in this case being a practising Catholic... we once got a dispensation from the Bishop for a High CofE but that was highly irregular
    • That you have written a decent cover letter that talks about our school... not a generic letter with [insert name of school]
    Next start a topic list of what is currently hot and write yourself bullet points, and create a list of questions you could be asked. You will be asked about dealing with parents and parental complaints so be firm but fair. When we ask you what made you want to apply for this role at Our Lady of or Saint So and So's, we need you to really go to town, "Your children are impressive, they converse well, the school feels happy and positive, cannot put my finger on it but I want to be part of it," you get the idea.

Look at the panel and smile, we are desperate for a good DH and you could be it. Ask us to repeat the questions if you lose your thread, write down key words if it helps. If you haven't done something before, say so but add you would be keen to learn or I've not done that but I think I would want to...

I think that this is the most difficult role in the school as you are no longer part of the melee in the staffroom nor are you completely in charge, so create a network of peers to help you. Another big challenge is working with governors, we are not always helpful but we are worth listening to, on occasion.

Use the first couple of interviews as practice to hone your skills. Happy to chat if that would be helpful.

welshwales likes this.
  5. aname_hamzac

aname_hamzac New commenter

Ok thanks for your reply! I fixed it successful so cheers mate