1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to plan using children's interests

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ariel13, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Hello
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I am taking over a reception class due to maternity cover and the teacher has told me that the planning is child informed.
    She has given me the topics and ELGs to cover over the next 2 terms (LTP)
    How do I do a MTP if I don't know what the children are interested in?
    Do I just do weekly plans?
    We are due OFSTED so am worried about what to show them planning wise.
    If anyone has any examples or thoughts I welcome anything and everything!!!
    Also I am new to EY - do you have to cover the ELG's at a certain point in the year or in any order?
    Thanks in advance!!!
    </td></tr></table>

2. Is there an early years coordinator/manager/phase leader you could ask? It's difficult to see how you can plan from children's interests while following a MTP and a set topic, although the topic might be flexible and general enough to allow for the introduction of children's ideas and preferences. What is the topic? it also seems a little odd to address ELGs in separate blocks, as they are so closely interrelated, and as children's responses would usually inform next steps.Hopefully a chat with someone senior will be able to clarify it all.

3. Hi thanks for your reply.
    The EY coordinator is the teacher I am replacing!
    Her MTP is anoverview of the weeks in each half term which is what is confusing me - how does it show the chidlren's interests if it's already planned? Unless she just follows the children's interests in a short topic session twice a week? (as shown in her timetable)
    The topic for next half term is "The world around us" so I'm going to start with looking at different countries - hopefully the children will then suggest where to go and I will just have to plan week by week?
    confused.com!

4. Some schools use a topic plan as back up, then annotate it with changes and notes about children's interests and the direction these take them. "The World Around Us" sounds fairly flexible. You could involve children by asking them about places they have been to, their journey to school etcand see what comes from that. Is it possible that the EY coordinator has made her planning more detailed tha usual to help you? I would use them as much or as little as you need to, also keeping a record of changes you have made.

5. Ok, thanks for your help!

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

The world around us could also include what's close to home. It may be better to start with this. It's easier to get the children thinking if they are talking from their own experience. Using "what do you already know" and "what would you like to find out" is a good way to progress.

7. We did a similar topic, 'Our World' and made it really flexible to take into account children's interests. We have a spider diagram on the wall and every time we notice something the children seem interested in, we make a new 'category' on the diagram and jot down names of any children who are interested in that. It's actually really interesting how you can join up categories. We use this diagram when we're doing MTP and also weekly planning, trying to plan activities which will interest groups of children. In terms of using the FSP as a planning tool, I wouldn't worry. It's designed as an assessment document rather than something to work slavishly through, although it is sometimes useful to show any gaps in provision and use it to plan opportunities if you notice there's a scale point lots of children haven't got highlighted off. Hope this helps.