1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to plan using children's interests?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ariel13, Dec 29, 2011.

1. I am taking over a reception class due to maternity cover and the teacher has told me that the planning is child informed.
    She has given me the topics and ELGs to cover over the next 2 terms (LTP)
    How do I do a MTP if I don't know what the children are interested in?
    Do I just do weekly plans?
    We are due OFSTED so am worried about what to show them planning wise.
    If anyone has any examples or thoughts I welcome anything and everything!!!
    Also I am new to EY - do you have to cover the ELG's at a certain point in the year or in any order?
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Firstly I suggest you visit the EY forum where you will get lots of help ...
    then have a good look at http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/resourcesdraft.html
    We never plan for more than two days at a time so that we can follow interests but if your school has set topics they could work differently.
    ELGs aren't hierarchical so can be achieved and taught in any order but your assessment will mainly be from the children's independent activities.
    Ask for some EYFS training before Ofsted

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How about asking the children what they are interested in. Get an adult to draw a mind map of their ideas and suggestions for learning activities. Plan from there, using their ideas and interests.