1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to plan to meet the needs for every child? Differentiation in every lesson?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by JoanneMac01, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I need to know the answer to these questions!
    I need to know how to differentiate better?
    and how to show that I am doing this during a lesson?
    Another main worry of mine is how do you show differentiation during a social dance lesson? (social dance is just scottish country dancing eg the gay gordons and virginia reel etc)
    The main issue of having to do this during a lesson is that during a group dance, canadian barn dance for example, all children are doing the same thing. So surely it is about keeping them active and their enjoyment? Rather than picking them out and making them do something different just to show differentiation?
    Also I was critised for giving too much superficial feedback such as 'well done' and ' that was great' to the class as a whole. I think this was very unfair as I had 32 kids (16 boys that I hadn't even built a previous rapport with) that all really didnt want to be there! So the only way I could think to keep them engaged was motivational phrases.
    Do you think it is possible to give individual meaningful feedback when the child is in the middle of a dance?
    If so, how do I do it?
    How can I make a socal dance lesson meet more of the teaching standards criteria?
    JoanneMac01

2. I need to know the answer to these questions!
    I need to know how to differentiate better?
    and how to show that I am doing this during a lesson?
    Another main worry of mine is how do you show differentiation during a social dance lesson? (social dance is just scottish country dancing eg the gay gordons and virginia reel etc)
    The main issue of having to do this during a lesson is that during a group dance, canadian barn dance for example, all children are doing the same thing. So surely it is about keeping them active and their enjoyment? Rather than picking them out and making them do something different just to show differentiation?
    Also I was critised for giving too much superficial feedback such as 'well done' and ' that was great' to the class as a whole. I think this was very unfair as I had 32 kids (16 boys that I hadn't even built a previous rapport with) that all really didnt want to be there! So the only way I could think to keep them engaged was motivational phrases.
    Do you think it is possible to give individual meaningful feedback when the child is in the middle of a dance?
    If so, how do I do it?
    How can I make a socal dance lesson meet more of the teaching standards criteria?
    JoanneMac01

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

With the lesson you are describing, it is very unfair for someone to expect you to differentiate.
    I used to do this lesson at Christmas (barn dance, square tango, st bernards waltz etc). It's a fun activity.
    Whoever is telling you that you should provide differentiated activites and differantiated feedback in this lesson, frankly is being a t1t.
    It epitomises a lot of what has gone wrong in education. They should lighten up and maybe even join in.

4. Thank you for your quick reply.
    I am a student teacher on my 1st placement and the lesson I referred to was my crit lesson which didn't go very well because I didnt meet all the teaching standards criteria that I needed to, such as the differentiation issue. I'm really gutted as I think It was all a bit unfair. But I suppose I need to take the feedback into consideration and work on the areas that need developed.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Further to what I said previously, take what 'they' say with a pinch of salt. Mentally say 'whatever' and realise they are really being unrealistic and unfair.
    If this was part of a teaching practice, maybe you didnt pick a great lesson to be assessed on or to include in your programme for TP, but in the big scheme of things, and 30 odd years down the line it wil mean nothing believe me.

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Turn round to the teacher observing as ask 'what would you have said'. If they can't answer then you know they are giving you feedback for feedback's sake.
    During placements be prepared to go OTT to jump through the hoops. I once did a football session and played the typical numbers game, two teams each pupil numbered 1-15. I printed off the numbers (EAL pupils may not understand me) and even wrote the number in French, German and Spanish underneath (cross curricular learning - Foreign Languages). I even shouted out mathematical sums (4-2 = pupil number 2, cross curricular link to Maths). At the end of the lesson mini feedback sheets, how many of the three targets have you met. Stupid lesson but it got me ticks in the box.