1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to organise planning folder?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by donna1107, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Im an NQT and really unsure as to how to organise my planning folder. I seem to have paperwork everywhere. Please help!! How do you organise yours?

2. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

I have spent the past few years trying to get this right (paperwork and organisation are not exactly my strong point...!) Others may have better ideas, but this is what I have ended up with and so far this year it seems to be working:
    Timetables/class info etc.
    Long term plan.
    Medium term plans for Autumn term.
    Weekly plans for Autumn term: weekly overview, literacy plan and maths plan, from earliest to the most recent, added as I finish the week. I also put the homework that I sent home that week in with the lit/maths.
    Repeat for Spring term.
    Repeat for Summer term.

3. Mine is still a work in progress too, but its in sections:
    • Term Timetable / Support Timetable / Intervention Timetable
    • Long Term Plans for Class
    • Term Breakdown - units/themes covered in each week
    • Literacy Units
    • Numeracy Units
    • Topic & Foundation Weekly Planners (& resources)
    • Weekly Planning Sheet (which sits on top of my planning for each week & draws together links, ict use, homework, support etc)

4. We have all our planning saved on the computers now, we 'hand in' our planning by loading it into folders (easily accessible by everyone) and keep copies on our memory sticks..... sigh.... I used to love choosing new folders and dividers!

5. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

My planning folder is separated into curriculum areas, just keep putting the latest plans in the front of the relevant section.
    My class folder contains assessment info, IEPs, details of new children etc.
    My INSET folder contains all paperwork relating to training, staff meetings etc. separated into areas like 'Teaching', 'SEN', 'Health' (ie. epipen training) and 'Ongoing'. I also stash policies and staff handbook in the back.
    I do have a Miscellaneous folder, as there's always stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

6. whatever helps you.
    when my school was in special measures - our planning folders had to be perfect and in the right order.
    i never used it, ofsted never looked at it and neither did HMI.
    I now have a planning folder on my laptop and on the school server. I also have a notebook to write things down.
    ( but i am very old)

7. Hi,

My planning folder is where I keep everything so by the end of a term it does get pretty full. I section mine like this...
    • Class Info: class lists, timetables, groups for literacy, numeracy, ICT, spellings, phonics etc., TA timetable
    • Child Specific Info: IEPs, SEN information
    • Long term planning
    • Medium Term planning
    • The next 7 sections are for Week 1, 2, 3 etc. for all my weekly planning in reverse order (Week 7, Week 6, Week 5 etc.) so the most recent week we are on is further on top.
    • School Info: any information we get that term to do with school such as SiP reports
    • Students: Our school has a lot of students plus I am a mentor so if I have any, their info or student booklets go in there.
    • Letters: any letters I send out for trips, reminders etc go in there
    • Staff Meetings: any notes or handouts (which is a lot) from this terms staff meetings go in there
    • Co-ordinator Meetings: our school is in teams for coordinators such as core team (litercy, numeracy, science and ICT) so any notes from any meetings go in there
    • Last Half Term: When it gets to the second half of the term, the first half of the terms planning goes in this bit
    • The section at the back is for any other bits and pieces I have such as a phonics overview I have, Pie Corbett literacy notes from a course I went on years ago but the ideas I still use now etc.
    I have a small folder for staff meetings and planning so after each term I take out the staff meeting section and all the planning and put it in the new folder in case it is needed. Then every couple of terms I shred my planning (have it all on a pen anyway) and get ride of any staff meeting/coordinator meeting notes I don't need.

I hope that made sense, it's probably easier to see it than it is to explain as reading it back it does sound complicated! Hope it helps! x

8. Big thanks! This is really helpful - organisation not my strong point and this has helped me to collate bits and pieces from everywhere really logically. Still think we should save the trees and keep it all on a stick though!

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Look again at dagnabit's post: why on earth are you having to make up your own protocol? this is a basic teacher activity which the school should have a clear and well established policy/practice for and you could augment for personal preference.