1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to organise an arts week

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by HyperBunny, May 3, 2012.

1. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hi,
    I have been asked to organise an arts week in my school. I will be basing it around the Olympics: I have the suggested activities for staff and year groups (we are infant and primary school), but I'm just not sure what the next step is in organising an arts week. This is my first year as art co. Any suggestions would be lovely. Thank you x

2. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hi,
    I have been asked to organise an arts week in my school. I will be basing it around the Olympics: I have the suggested activities for staff and year groups (we are infant and primary school), but I'm just not sure what the next step is in organising an arts week. This is my first year as art co. Any suggestions would be lovely. Thank you x

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Think about a display or performance or end celebration to share all the work.
    Get each teacher to feedback to you on what they are planning to do so that you can offer extra support or resources where needed.
    Contact local secondary schools and ask if any Year 10 or Yr12 Art students would be interested in helping with the Art activities for an afternoon (just to add another dimension?)
    Ensure there is something visually impressive at the end - is there a range of 2D and 3D work?
    Can you get a relevent artist in to work with small groups of children for the week?... if funds allow?... maybe a willow artist who could create running figures?
    Look at Tony Cragg's coloured plastics art http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=tony+cragg&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_enGB414GB414&biw=1024&bih=624&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnso&tbnid=NKqHPpSVzxjpGM:&imgrefurl=http://polink.blogspot.com/2008/12/tony-cragg-vs-van-der-leck-others.html&docid=npBpgRtDbZ6AzM&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SFwdWzOuPr0/STUEIZhRX9I/AAAAAAAAII8/Gin9J2u2KxI/s320/tonycragg.jpg&w=203&h=296&ei=kCykT631BMjX8gPRoPSxCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=326&sig=114629405399788793370&page=2&tbnh=135&tbnw=101&start=16&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:16,i:196&tx=71&ty=110- maybe take the idea, and get students to bring in anything in the olympic ring colours, and create the rings in the hall or playground (like a big Art Attack!)
    Art competition that students do at home - award a Gold, Silver and Bronze medal.. judge them at the end of the week.
    Run an activity at lunchtimes? (if this is appropriate at a Primary school - I'm Secondary!)
    Good luck. x

4. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Thanks that's really useful. I always think about contacting secondary schools but I never do, I'm worried they would say no! Plus, would I just contact the art department or the office? I don't think I would be able to get an artist in as we don't have the money and the parents wouldn't want to contribute. It's a shame really.

I am going to speak to the relevant year groups and ask them what they would like to do and materials they need. Do you think it's wise to go with a brief, for example, I hope to have a whole class display, exhibition or display by entrance etc. so the other teachers know what I would like, rather than just say, go create! I think I'm just worried about people saying no they won't do it or even try (as has been known for people do that in our school!) I'm not asking a lot from people.

Anyways, thank you xx