1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to motivate a Year 6 class in a short space of time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie_rose, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hello. I am an NQT who has just started teaching a Year 6 class after their last teacher left. The majority are currently working at APP Level 3 with a few level 4s. The school's target is to get them up to Level 4 by the time they take their SATs. Currently they are not confident with their times tables, their spelling isn't great and they have trouble writing imaginatively. They also forget basic grammar rules (such as capital letters for names and places and the difference between their, they're and there.) Most of them don't enjoy school, saying it's 'boring'. Parental support is quite lacking in the area and this may be the reason some of them struggle. I want to help these children achieve their potential but am quite daunted by the task. Does anyone have any experience they could share to motivate these children before they take their SATs? Are there any little routines that could make an impact, or reward systems I could implement? Would appreciate any help as I would like to make a difference and encourage this class to do their best.

2. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hello. I am an NQT who has just started teaching a Year 6 class after their last teacher left. The majority are currently working at APP Level 3 with a few level 4s. The school's target is to get them up to Level 4 by the time they take their SATs. Currently they are not confident with their times tables, their spelling isn't great and they have trouble writing imaginatively. They also forget basic grammar rules (such as capital letters for names and places and the difference between their, they're and there.) Most of them don't enjoy school, saying it's 'boring'. Parental support is quite lacking in the area and this may be the reason some of them struggle. I want to help these children achieve their potential but am quite daunted by the task. Does anyone have any experience they could share to motivate these children before they take their SATs? Are there any little routines that could make an impact, or reward systems I could implement? Would appreciate any help as I would like to make a difference and encourage this class to do their best.

3. I'm bumping this up as I hope you get some useful advice here. You have a big job ahead of you. I would go for targets linked to concrete rewards, updated on a weekly basis. I have used a system with a pad of target sheets on a spiral binding for each child so they can flip to their literacy/numeracy targets in each lesson. As they show they have met the target they get a stamper and a prize and you can quickly add the new target to the next page. Use small toys, sweets, stationery. Get to poundland and buy a selection. A lot of the little things aren't 'forgetting' it's just that they have learnt that there is no point to doing it. Once you make it relevant they should stop forgetting. Focus on the things that they can quickly put right, eg don't say 'write more imaginatively' but 'use 3 words from our Wow words'. You can build up the challenge as they see that you do give out rewards and they can improve their work quickly. Good luck!