1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to model stories

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oneinamil, Sep 16, 2015.

1. oneinamil

oneinamil New commenter

Hey guys,

Can I just get some tips of modelling how to write stories? Did it yesterday with my class, and they were supposed to write the middle of their stories and were to include different sentence openers, verbs and speech. But only a very small few have done this. Any tips please - thanks in advance x

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It would be useful if you could include the age and level of the children...different groups require different treatment.

The prime modelling has to be you with possibly working wall examples,open starters and possible groups work. There is no standard answer.For example, is the story well known, is it familiar..in which case a pie Corbet approach might be useful,if their own original work you need to reference story mountains plans or or use support sheets with multiple choice they can consider. and utilise.

3. oneinamil

oneinamil New commenter

Hi, sorry for the late reply. My children are in Year 3. Ranging from level 1 to level 3 (most being around the average 2b)

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Year three tend to have little imagination when it comes to story writing.They are happier with say recall of events and characters,So take a book you have read or are reading,,,,,,,base work around that developing all the grammatical things they need,,, and use it as launch platform to other works.adapting stories,developing characters, connecting idea together starters etc etc.

I found they needed a lot of feed in but if your doing myths and legends for example, they loved such stories or stories with interest and excitement. and love to write about the stories with the help of enrichment words and phrases. Some at 2B will need a lot of support so dodnt be frightened to give them the tools to do the job.