1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to maximize MFL curriculum time

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by gianfrancoconti1966, Jul 29, 2017.

1. gianfrancoconti1966

gianfrancoconti1966 Occasional commenter

In view of the small amount of curriculum time allocated to MFL teaching in many secondary schools, finding ways to maximise teaching and learning time is crucial in order to ensure retention is long-lasting and horizontal progression (the accurate routinization of the target items) happens.

In this article, I discuss a set of strategies I have been using over the years to address the constraints posed on learning by the very limited contact time I have with my classes.

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.c...-strategies-to-maximise-your-curriculum-time/

alexandraparker likes this.
  2. parkert

parkert New commenter

This is going to be very relevant for us. As a result of severe budget cuts by the govt, our Y7 and Y8 will only have one lesson of MFL per week for next year as we can't afford to replace the teacher who is leaving.

3. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

As a result of these trends teachers are going to have to rely on students furthering their language learning skills outside of school in their own time. Teachers are going to have to help students with their 'self efficacy '. See another of Gianfranco Conti's blogs.

https://gianfrancoconti.wordpress.c...nal-factor-in-the-foreign-language-classroom/

4. curias

curias New commenter

Hi Gianfranco, I really love this strategy and intend to start using it in my lessons. Thank you.
    On an entirely different matter, howevr, what does Edexcel mean by 'access to natural resources' under their theme 'Environmental Issues' in the new spec? Thank you.

5. gianfrancoconti1966

gianfrancoconti1966 Occasional commenter

I do no use Edexcel in my school, but will post your query in our new facebook group and will get back to you. Ciao

6. Nabourke

Nabourke New commenter

Couldn't agree more that time in the classroom has to be really well spent! We've gone down the flipped learning route, so that all vocab is learned for homework prior to the lesson, therefore time can be spent in lesson on practising the skills they really need us there for. We have to teach vocab learning as a skill at beginning of the year too, to ensure that they do it properly, but agree that recycling as much language as possible throughout KS3 and 4 is important, therefore curriculum design needs to be really well thought out!

minka1 likes this.
  7. curias

curias New commenter

Thank you.

8. JosianeSandy

JosianeSandy New commenter

Thanks Gian Franco. Your article really helped me this summer. I redesigned my year10 French with your advice in mind. I will try your 'routines' as this is a great way to recycle vocab and phrases. I'll put them into practice very shortly. I'll be curious to see your 'universals' list for year10 French.

gianfrancoconti1966 likes this.