1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to mark students work on Teams ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Sep 18, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

So now we can’t or shouldn’t collect work from students in books how do we actually mark their work?
    Ask them to submit typed on teams or to take a picture of their work in their books?
    I hate marking photographed work mainly because I can’t read it as it’s been a badly taken photo.

any advice please for this old fogey?!

2. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I would set them work in assignments that encourages use of Word or PPT. The whole point of Teams is It gives them access to the software via teams, they don’t need to have Word at home. You will always get a few having issues but if 80% can upload typed work it really helped. I managed to get about 24/29 Y5 pupils to engage in this way and it was brilliant. They can upload, you can comment and highlight and get them to improve by sending back the work then they can re-submit.

emerald52 and red_observer like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There are various scanning apps - Microsoft lens is apparently quite good. Maybe some effort needs to be put into getting kids to explore the technology, and take the time to get a good image. (I teach distance-learning normally, and so get a lot of photographed/scanned work.)

Or work on paper, with a long turnaround to allow for quarantining.

Beware going down the route of everything being typed, as pupils will struggle at GCSE if they haven't been handwriting work regularly.

red_observer likes this.
  4. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Just realised, Red, you are referring to this as a daily way of carrying on in school rather than for homework assignments. I appreciate this will have issues for your students daily. We have to really try to think how we can get round this. Another lockdown is looking imminent.

red_observer likes this.
  5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our pupils have mainly got to grips with Office Lens. They use that to combine photographs into one pdf. They then upload that on a task set on Firefly, our homework setting app. I can open it on my ipad and mark it using the ipad pencil.

6. red_observer

Thanks Sally that’s helpful.

7. red_observer

Yes that’s what worries me about typed work as they need to do exams by handwriting. It’s not so important for KS3 but then if we allow them to type they will lose the habit of hand writing

nervousned likes this.
  8. red_observer

Yes I’m taking mainly about assessed work. They can have their books in school. I am not prepared to take a snap myself of everyone’s work.

9. red_observer

You’ve lost me already! Sorry!

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  10. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

Classwork will have to wait as far as I'm concerned. I never got the hang of annotating stuff on Teams during lockdown so I read it and then type a comment in the box. If I can't read it, I send it back. If it's pdf then you can zoom in and rotate it, jpeg is rubbish.

11. red_observer

Thank you

12. red_observer

Thank you but this is where I get confused with all those terms.
    I won’t be annotating anything. Just need to be able to read it!

13. rararasputin

If they hand-write it and take a photo of it, it's likely to be in jpeg format. Tell them to convert their pic to pdf format, easier to read. I think they can submit pics in word format too but don't ask me how!

red_observer and Sally006 like this.
  14. red_observer

Thank you @rararasputin thats helpful

rararasputin likes this.
  15. red_observer

Sorry how do they change to pdf?

16. rararasputin

No idea, sorry!

red_observer likes this.
  17. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I am not connected with this company but having used it in term 3 lockdown, I have recommended it to several teacher friends..

https://classkick.com/ - easy to set and mark work, can upload existing docs. children can complete it either with pen/finger writing or with text box typing so suits either tablets or laptops. And, as a teacher, you can watch them working live - so you can monitor what they're doing from your safely distanced teacher desk.

Sadly my new school doesn't allow devices in class until KS5, but it's definitely worth a look if your school is more open to such thngs. I will use it this year with my A-level groups and for homework for KS3/4 as it has at least been accepted that homework can be done online. . You can use it free with lots of features - I liked it so much I've paid for a teacher membership and if your school buys in, you get your individual fees refunded (ain't likely to happen to me).

18. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Here https://jpg2pdf.com/ for example

rararasputin likes this.
  19. red_observer

No problem!

20. red_observer

Thank you! Very helpful!