1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make the leap to senior leadership from middle management?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by songsong, Feb 28, 2016.

1. songsong

songsong New commenter

Advice please? Feedback I've had from interview and from not being shortlisted is that I haven't got experience of senior leadership but I can't get the experience unless someone gives me the job. No go in my own (independent) school which is shrinking to dangerous levels. Have volunteered to take on specific responsibilities but Head seems unable to delegate and then said I could take on a project only to have someone on SLT present it back to me as if it was her idea!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Look at the school's Improvement Plan or whatever you call it.

Identify something that needs doing on the whole-school level, and put in a written proposal to do it.

The alternative is to move to the same level post in a larger school where you will have more opportunity. Moving from Middle Leader in a small and shrinking school to a promotion may not be easy . . . It's not a good springboard.

Best wishes

3. songsong

songsong New commenter

Hi Theo, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm trying very hard to get out of my school which I fear is not going to be viable for much longer, and only asking for things internally to add to my CV and for the experience rather than because I think I've got a future where I am. I've had two interviews for deputy headships elsewhere which were really good experience, but since then I haven't even been shortlisted. I've had excellent feedback from my application but have been told that with over 50 applicants they had to shortlist only people already in leadership positions.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So it may need to be sideways to a bigger school . . .

By the way - have you found the Professional Advice Hub and its support for applications? here are some examples:

Get ready for the application season! * * * Must Read * * *

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

There are masses more . . . tag me @TheoGriff if you need some links.

Best wishes