1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make reading a play in class more exciting?

Discussion in 'English' started by lighthouse_keeper, Jan 23, 2012.

1. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I'm doing the Crucible with my most challenging class. I finally am getting them on side, but now we've started the Crucible, they've gone all quiet on me. I assign them parts when reading aloud but they read in a monotone and seem to hate it. How can I make this more interesting for them?
    Any ideas gratefully received.
    Thanks.
    LHK

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do you have to do it as 'reading round the class in parts?' If there's a tv or radio version could they listen to that- it would be much better read/acted.
    If you have to do it- only ask for volunteers and do a bit of miming/acting to 'pep it up' a bit.

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

If they are reading it in a disaffected manner because they are disaffected, then perhaps (as your rightly indicate) they simply aren't getting much from reader's theatre. Consider only read the parts necessary for analysis, and model your response to it. What Lara said above, really.

4. lighthouse_keeper

I have a film version I could show them first...maybe I'll do that starting Thursday last period...I also thought I could ask them to read bits in their own groups and then we could just talk about the findings, rather than reading out aloud in class which they seem to hate.
    Thanks guys.
    LHK

5. Give them witchy hats and puritan caps!

6. Sedgers

Sedgers New commenter

I searched everywhere for puritan caps last year but found it really difficult!
    I found an image that related to the setting and projected it on the board - those in the scene came up to the front and I directed them to try and bring it more to life. It was useful for showing how crowded the bedroom became or the court for example, and those students that were more dramatic I assigned the main parts. This was with a B/C class who said they found this more helpful... although it was like pulling teeth at some points!

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Tell them a bit about the characters and get them up and moving!
    <u> It's a play. </u>

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

[​IMG] Sums it up nicely.

9. lighthouse_keeper

I'll give it a go! [​IMG] They're an odd class, there are lots of little groups and not many of them get on, so it's hard to get them interested in tasks, but if I get them working in their little groups, perhaps they might be a bit more into it. I will try these ideas, thank you!

10. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Ideal for 'The Crucible' I'd have thought.

11. Just what I was thinking...creative casting calls!

12. I had to do Taming of the Shrew with a Y6 class a while ago. They were really unenthusiastic until I showed them a good clip of the scene we were studying and then got them to write their own version of it with a modern day feel. They were quite happy to act by the end of the second day.