1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make marking go faster

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by craftyangel, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Anybody got any hints, tips or possible magic spells I can use to help this pile of book be marked!!
    I'm sure it would help if I wasn't on TES right now and actually getting on with my marking but anybody got any other ideas?

2. Insist on the pupils handing their books in open at the page to be marked.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Get some of the more able groups to mark each other's work in the lesson and see if there are any errors.
    Have coloured stickers on the spines of the books relating to ability groups, so if you only have ten minutes, you can grab a group's books and it's easy to remember which ones you've marked.
    Give yourself a target and a reward; 30 minutes of marking, then a bar of chocolate! 30 minutes, then a cup of tea. Helps break it up.
    DON'T put it off! Going back on Monday with unmarked books will stress you out!
    Err... Stop procrastinating and get off the TES forums! (Mea culpa - I have two sets of books to mark this weekend!)

4. Starsarah

Starsarah New commenter

I hate this job and was not very good at it last year so am making it a priority this year!
    I have bought myself some stamps from PTS (although I am secondary) that say This work is good because and then to make it better you need to... This has really helped me focus my marking.

I have also got red, orange and green sticky dots and am using these to show progress. I Have posters in classroom saying what the colours mean.

I have attempted to write a rota so I mark one set a day (I have 10 groups this year) and am going to follow it as closely as I can as it reduces the worrying.

Also when I am planning, I am choosing specfic bits of classwork I am wanting to assess, this makes it easier and less stressful. Everything else will just get a tick!

Hope that helps!

5. I'm secondary English and my old HoD made up some stickers which summarised the main criteria for obtaining a particular grade. We could use those to help decide which grade to give it, stick that in their book then add a personalised handwritten target. Made it so much faster!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

7. Know your marking scheme inside out! And try and space out homework due dates!

8. One school I worked at had a circle square and triangle stamp for each teacher (on one stamp). Chn stamped own bks when had finished work (or drew a circle, square and triangle). Mark in each between 0 and 5. The circle was for how well objective met. The square was standard of presentation. The triangle was for effort.
    Saves piles of time marking. Reward chn for getting 555 and the rest will make an instant effort to do the same. Improves presentation no end too.