1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make living as a private tutor in small town?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by hcho8, Aug 30, 2017.

1. hcho8

hcho8 New commenter

Hello,

I want to make a living by working as a private math tutor for high school students (I could also teach elementary or middle school kids with their math classes). I live in a small town, I will be doing my tutoring business in this my town. Here, there are many students who needs help with their math courses, but small town like here often don't have many extra resources for them... My town has population of ~5500. Below are just some questions I have:
    • Would it be a good idea to go to schools and asks teacher/principal to make announcement or refer students to me?
    • What should I do to make tutoring income during summer months when students are out of school(any ideas are welcome)?
    • How do private tutors earn income during mornings/early afternoons when students are still in school?
    • How reasonable is it to set my goal as securing enough tutoring requests to tutor at least 6 hours/day? Would it be nearly impossible (i.e. no matter how good of a tutor I am) because I am working in small town? My town has population of more than 5000 people.

Thank you,

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi @hcho8,

Would it be a good idea to go to schools and asks teacher/principal to make announcement or refer students to me?
    You have nothing to lose!

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I suspect from your use of langauge that you may be American - so not all of my experience may be relevant.
    In my small town, school finishes at 3.10, the earliest feasible time for starting tuition is probably 4pm. 6 hours without breaks or hand over time takes you to 10pm. This is probably too late for most youngsters to be undergoing tuition. Even if you can start at 3.30, you're still going to 9.30.

Find a way of working with adults.
    See if you can persuade a school to employ you in some capacity.
    Do something unrelated to education.

Rest and relax
    Some parents need their children occupied. You could offer revision or booster summer classes.

Depends on the school and your relationship with the principal and the teachers. You need to avoid giving the impression that you're implying their teaching is so poor the pupils need further help.

4. rec4

rec4 New commenter

You should see if myqualifiedteacher.co.uk are still looking for teachers, I signed up and have a lesson booked for next week already. I;m not expecting to work as often as you but it's online so done from home and no travelling.