1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make governors more strategic

Discussion in 'Governors' started by bluerose, Oct 12, 2007.

1. and a critical friend. Working hard wading through the treacle to get there and support for this is hard ot come by. Does anyone have links to or a list of good basic questions different committees should be asking to help them get off the ground. saw something from west sussex on a piece of paper so dont have weblink but looked potentially useful. HAve asked on school management. Thanks

2. and a critical friend. Working hard wading through the treacle to get there and support for this is hard ot come by. Does anyone have links to or a list of good basic questions different committees should be asking to help them get off the ground. saw something from west sussex on a piece of paper so dont have weblink but looked potentially useful. HAve asked on school management. Thanks

3. bnm

bnm

We did the following:

wrote terms of reference for all committees and "named" governor posts

Set up strategic planning committee who overview SEF and school development plan

Identified specifically on SDP who is evaluating what and exactly by what method they are going to do it

Wrote yearly plan for gov body stating what would happen in each meeting and what needs to happen between each meeting

Write in on minutes who is reporting back on what

We're not there yet, but we are getting there.

4. bnm were trying to do something very similar

wrote terms of reference for all committees - what committees hae you decided upon weve gone with three as if have too many trouble getting quorum

and "named" governor posts- what sort of posts are you refering to are they attached to subjects or sip priorities or something else

Set up strategic planning committee who overview SEF and school development plan- think we have something similar although ours is very data focused

Identified specifically on SDP who is evaluating what and exactly by what method they are going to do it- i think we need to do more on this i tried this once before though and then seemed to spend more time chasing them up or doing stuff for them and really dont want to be making more work for myself so maybe i wasnt doing it well- could you give an exampe

Wrote yearly plan for gov body stating what would happen in each meeting and what needs to happen between each meeting - now in process of trying to do this but already committees seem to be arguing about who needs what and what their role is!! think becaue we wanted that scrutiny group to focus on data analysis and asking the really hard questions then the curriculum group which i thought would look at what subjects actually look like in school and how we are doing re the school improvement plan since most of that is curricular

Write in on minutes who is reporting back on what

Wouldt it be great if once we get there we sold the CD !!! or better still someone whose there did it now Thanks for reply anything else you can add to my aobve thoughts id be grateful

5. bnm

bnm

Morning.

We have 3 committees (apart from rarely meet ones such as appeals and complaints etc):

finance and staffing
    buildings
    strategic planning

chair of finance and staffing is also on strategic planning (as well as me being on all of them) so we can tie up SDP priorities with budget.

Buildings has responsibility for all premises, health and safety and devolved capital. Our "named" health and safety governor is on building committee.

We have "named" governors for health and safety, child protection, racial equality, special needs and each subject of the curriculum (the development of these individual roles is our current focus).

We also make use of working parties: we have a permanent working party who have responsibility for the review of all policies, except those specific to committees (finance and staffing committee have financial management, pay and performance management policies, and buildings committee have health and safety policy).

We also set up temporary working parties for specific issues.

We don't have a curriculum committee. We have 6 full governors meetings each year, and every second one of these always starts with a curriculum focus (usually a presentation by a staff member followed by questions and then discussion on any impact the presentation needs to have on the governing body).

In theory all this should work. In practice, we are getting there, but slowly.

By the way, I wrote all the terms of reference, yearly plan etc and then should took them to the govs and said is this OK? No one argued.

6. thanks for prompt reply that helps me think about what we need to do like idea of policy working party and think we had nearly got to that point after a lot of debate!!
    There is something making it even harder here but saying so would possibly reveal who i was so wont but thanks againg

7. pineappleyoghurt

pineappleyoghurt New commenter

Were you successful in this Bluerose?
    I have great team of people but so disorganised. They wait for me to do everything. No agendas for meetings unless I chase them or do it myself. A bit frustrating. Just a small village school so not many to delegate to. They rely on regular reminders of up coming meetings. So if I forget.....

8. Small village school - me too.
    We now have a Clerk supplied from the local authority who is excellent in preparing agendas, taking minutes and organising the governors. Not cheap but well worth the money and has helped a lot.

9. pineappleyoghurt

pineappleyoghurt New commenter

Thanks for response Tom. Do you have a clerk at all committee meetings too or just full Govs?

10. staxis

staxis New commenter

All of our meetings are clerked. Having an efficient clerk is vital to the efficient running of the whole GB.