1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make extra money?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You could try writing books for children (have you seen the cost of these!!) But you would then need a publisher and possibly an illustrator, unless you are artistical. I have written three books, two novels and a shorter thing, which are published on Amazon, but I wouldn't recommend that, unless you can tap into a market. I have "made" a whole £66 since 1st April (i.e. this tax year), woo I'm rich, a whole tank of petrol!

2. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Please please stop plugging teaching overseas as the end to financial woes. Yes it can be very rewarding but the costs to get your certificates notarized is pretty significant. Renting out your place while you’re away still costs money if you want to keep it fit to live in when you come back. As I have said numerous times before the overseas life isn’t for everyone and people end up broken and broke if they get a dud school or even just don’t like it.

All the other suggestions might be worth exploring. Air B and B? That way you don’t have anyone permanently in your home. Your monthly costs seem excessive. If it’s credit cards do whatever you can to pay them off and then dispose of them.

caress and nomad like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

KS2 marking. It used to be run by Pearson but I understand Capita will be doing it next year.

4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Have a spring clean of your bank account and see if there is absolutely anything you can cancel.

If you haven’t done already make a list of your income and outgoing and set limits. Making extra money is a good idea but proper management of what you already make will go a long way to help you get where you want to be financially.

EBC, emerald52 and nomad like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

This!

I have spent much of my working life as an expatriate but fully appreciate that the expat lifestyle is not for everyone.

There are risks as well as benefits - one being the need to return unexpectedly to the UK and facing a significant tax bill from the Inland Revenue. Remember the Iraq invasion of Kuwait? That affected schools and teaching jobs not only in Kuwait (where there were many schools employing UK teachers) but in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and as far down the Arabian Peninsula as Muscat! Then there was the uprising and civil war in Libya. That put a few schools out of business and teachers out of jobs. Several years earlier and there was the eruption of Mt Pinatubo which shut down the Clark Air Force Base and the Navy Base at Subic Bay along with their associated expat schools.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Duke of York and towncryer like this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Agree with cutting back expenses. Negotiate new deals for annual expenses, buy clothes from charity shops and make your own lunches for school. To make money tutoring your subject or another skill. I used to teach a yoga class in the village hall on Sundays in term time. Helped me exercise and I made money.

nomad likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Doing alright on Sphock at the moment getting rid of stuff we don't want to move house with. Online surveys, between us we do about £200 a month. Mostly in vouchers for Tesco or Amazon. With the added bonus of the occasional bigger 'win' like the £1000+ worth of stuff Mrs B won off BA last month.

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Martin Lewis used to advise that you spend one day per year renegotiating DDs and SOs. Financially, it could be the most productive day of the year.

sodalime likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's very cheap if you decide not to pay them

eleanort7, sodalime and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

One of the pitfalls of an academic education and consequent career in academia is the limited scope it offers to bring in extra income, compared to a career where practical skills are required.

A policeman I knew, who was quite handy doing practical stuff made a fair few bob when he wasn't feeling collars by making feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeish tanks to order. The tanks were very simple in design, comprising just pieces of glass he accurately cut to size and cemented together with silicone rubber. He had to make a set up in his garage to cut the glass and fixtures to hold the pieces together etc. but that didn't cost much.

My brother in law began his working life as a draftsman, then later worked for the council as a buildings inspector. In his evenings and weekends he drew plans for people who wanted to add extentions or other modifications to their properties. He was never short of work that brought in extra income.

My father began his working life apprenticed to a blacksmith and after the war, worked mostly on steelwork used in the construction industry. At the weekend he supplemented his income by making wrought iron gates and railings to order.

I've known mechanics who repaired cars at the weekend for people who didn't want to get ripped off by main dealers, electricians who rewired houses at the weekend.

My mother wasn't a seamstress, but she was handy with a sewing machine and a pattern. Her free time was spent making clothes to order for a Carnaby Street boutique, among whose clients were famous celebrities.

For my part, I earned twice the income the NHS paid me by making flow transducers in my garage.

Those with practical skills will always be able to find something to increase their income if they want to; and earn good money from it.

border_walker and emerald52 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A DT teacher at a previous school used to come in at weekends and make toys using the materials in the department - he then sold them at car boot sales and the like and made a load of money.

But eventually he got caught and was sacked.

oldsomeman likes this.
  12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I knew an IT teacher who was more interested in flogging his own software than teaching any of his students. Much the same thing happened to him, peakster.

As for the harsh comments and unfair criticisms that I have received just because I have gently suggested, once or twice, that maybe leaving the UK and going to some other country in the world might perhaps be the solution to your problems if you are indeed finding it hard to make ends meet as a teacher, then let me say in reply that perhaps those who choose to stay should indeed do so. It's your own choice. But please do not expect much sympathy from me (or any other expat teacher) if you complain about anything (and everything) back in Dear Old Blighty.

Yes, as nomad has rightly pointed out, things do go a bit wrong sometimes and then expat teachers sometimes have to get on a plane. But hey ho, the world is a big place.

a_fletcher likes this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

The other way to make money is to relentlessly seek promotion. Stay a maximum of 2 years in any job. Continually seek out opportunities to show off your skills to SLT. Cultivate contacts and the idwal candidate for any job.

14. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Hi Bonnie

I don’t know if you are a cat lover but how about cat sitting?

https://uk.catinaflat.com/

Some of the people who are cat sitters do it around their other jobs, plus you would be free in the holidays so could just do it in holiday time,

We have a cat sitter and we use her several times a year as once you find someone you can trust and who gets to know your cats and the practical stuff like where things are kept it makes sense to keep using the same person.

Rach05 and ilovesooty like this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

When my sweetheart took a sabatical from our marriage, I paid a local woman to iron my clothes. I expect could iron clothes if I had to, but I've always been snowed under with other stuff. Same as everyone who was too busy to learn how to change a tap washer or the brushes in their washing machine motor, when their washing machine went up the pictures.

I also worked with a tomboy who earned a few bob on the side, by re-stringing tennis rackets.

My sweetheart bought herself a new tablet computer yesterday and had the good fortune to be married to a bloke who knew how to set it up so she could connect to the Interweb. I didn't charge her for it of course, but I wonder how she would have got on if she was a widow and didn't know how to do it herself?

I listened to a short programme on the wireless thia morning while driving to a meeting in which Jonathan Aitkin described his life in prison. Mindful that he ended up there through telling lies, as we've come to expect to be the norm of Tory politicians, I found it interesting that he described his survival in prison was helped by his ability to write letters on behalf of his illiterate prison colleagues.

You don't tend to think of Jonathan Aitkin as you would Norman Stanley Fletcher, but they might easily have been twins if you look at how each of them coped with prison life, which leads me to reconsider my earlier post in which I suggested there were fewer opportrunities for the academicaly educated to earn extra money than there are for those with practical skills.

I'd have thought that the academicaly educated would have picked up on the opportunity to make money by writing letters for illiterate prisoners whilst Porridge was being aired and have the market sewn up, but you know what?

They were only ever interested in telling the world which university they went to. It's like having a conversation with a vegan, where the only topic is that your talking to a vegan.

Rach05 likes this.
  16. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi in terms of cutting my bills down I'm at my minimum as it is.

My rent is £460
    My bills bring it up to around £750 with council tax, tv licence, gas, electric, water, etc
    My car is on finance which is another £200 a month - once this is paid off it should be a lot easier.
    I then try to put £250 a month into savings as a 'just in case'.

I'm not willing to move abroad, currently I'm trying to find a job closer to my parents in Scotland so it would be a bit backwards to go half way across the world away from them. I've already paid for my teaching licence for Scotland and my PVG.

17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You seem to be fairly together, Bonnie. I wonder if the "Just in case" money would be best used to pay off the car loan. My understanding is that you cannot be penalised for doing so early, as it encourages people to stay in debt, but check with your finance company. Then you will have £200 extra a month without having to work harder or do extra. And you could put £300 pcm into the savings and live it up with the rest.;)

18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Doing well. Making more money would help. Can you do tutoring/bar work/baby sitting? The first pays best, the second is sociable and the third gives you time to do marking and planning.

19. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Kindly enough my dad paid off my car with some money he inherited to save me having to pay the interest rate on it so I've saved some money there and I'm paying him back the same rate I was paying the finance back. I only have until January until it's all paid off thankfully!

mothorchid and emerald52 like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How about becoming one of Johnson's backers.