1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make extra money?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I currently live on my own and my bills come to £950 a month, without going into detail I'm after ways to make a little extra money to help me continue to save more money and just help with buying other things.

I teach full time and I'm quite low on the M scale.

Does anyone have ways of making extra money outside of school?

Thanks
    B x

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Exam marking, tutoring, doing boot sales on a saturday, babysitting, selling resources in TES, running holiday clubs...

3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Have you looked at reselling on ebay? Lots of people do it part-time and there are numerous resellers who have youtube channels explaining what they do. In fact, there are a couple who left teaching and now focus on reselling.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The counter intuitive thing to do is drop a day of teaching a week, go find another job for that day, where you just turn up and then go home, and then use the additional earning ideas suggested above.
    Less wiped out, more time, at least the same money.

Such is the lamentable state of being low on M Scale.
    (Scandalous, considering you might actually be doing more than somebody on four times your salary.)

Also scandalous that your bills have to be so high. I'm sure you are not alone. Had you investigated Tax Credits entitlement? There is an online calculator-play with it. You might find going to 0.8 or 0.6 will put you in better stead with any TC entitlements on the reduced income.

(I have a teacher friend who this year went up from 0.6 to 0.75 and has only just discovered that the loss
    in Tax Credit entitlement is greater than the financial gain. She's kicking herself :()

Here's one calculator, it's interesting to investigate potential changes
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Sometimes it's just an uphill struggle. Last week I worked five days painting preservative on about fifty fence panels and made £600.00. Once I consider tax and national insurance after expenses I probably will end up with about £450.00 but then, on the first day of the week I had the lock on the car's tailgate go and that was £268.00 for the part and I fitted it myself to save money.

Today I've been packing the car to the gunnels with stuff for the car boot tomorrow. I had to buy a table so I bought a triple folding table that is heatproof and made for camping. It's also rotproof unlike paste tables. The table cost me £54.00. The cost of the pitch at the car boot sale is £9.00. It took me one and a half hours to pack the car. I start at 5 a.m. tomorrow and will be home from the car boot sale by 1 p.m. Then it will take me, hopefully an hour to unload the car.

I could have just gone out to work tomorrow and worked 9-3 and earned £90.00 before tax, insurance and expenses. If I think about it too long I'd just work seven days and sleep when I'm not working.

So, if I think about this whole car boot venture: I've invested £63.00 plus diesel plus about nine hours which means if I'd worked those nine hours and not done the car boot or bought the table etc I'd be up by £198.00 to £205.00. I doubt I'll make that kind of money through sales from 8 a.m. to noon tomorrow.

But hey! You've got to try. Plus I have a good camping table and will do some decluttering. Of course I'll probably muller the car's suspension or scratch the 'privacy' film on the windows. Thankfully I didn't quite scratch the leather seats with a garden rake that's going for sale.

You make money and you fork out money to fix stuff all the time. And what's more you never know when this crazy existence is going to come to a stuttering end or an instant close.

You can be as frugal as possible and something will get you anyway. Entropy!

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Have you a spare room for a lodger?

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Tutoring or peripatetic music teaching, making things to sell on etsy or eBay (I have a friend who makes cards, another cross stitch), sell old items on eBay or Gumtree, exam marking, working part-time for a site like ****** (if you work part-time).

I agree it's hard. I'm looking to go part-time next year but to make additional money in some way. I need a better work-life balance!

TheoGriff likes this.
  8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Heh, no idea they blocked that name on here. It's the twinkly website I meant!

TCSC47 likes this.
  9. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

I really recommend tutoring - it pays well, is regular and very rewarding for hardly any outlay.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For ten years during my early teaching career I sold collectables at collectors' fairs and by mail order. I've also been re-selling since I retired to top up the pension, using eBay to replace mail order. Forget car boots and charity shops - auctions are an excellent low cost source of stock.

I also did a bit of freelance writing but it's quite time-consuming, which isn't good for a working teacher.

11. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

I also had a retail Sunday job in a slightly posh clothes shop for a couple of years- great discount and a fairly quiet and genuinely enjoyable job.

catbefriender likes this.
  12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Have you looked at reducing gas/ electric costs, car insurance, home insurance etc? Sign up at topcashback or similar for money back too when you change suppliers.

The Rent-a-room scheme allows you to earn up to £7250 per year, without paying any tax on it, from taking in a lodger. If you don't have a spare bedroom, do you have a lounge separate from your kitchen so that you could make the lounge your bedroom temporarily?

Many shops will be taking on casual staff from October for the Christmas period. Could you be available for one or two sessions at weekends or even some late evening shifts?

Royal Mail also take on extra staff in sorting offices.

monicabilongame and 576 like this.
  13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There is any easy way to improve your "balance of payments" if you are a teacher, Bonnie23. Stop teaching in the UK and get yourself an overseas teaching job. As you are a singleton, what is there to stop you? Friends of mine who are still in Blighty tell me that the dreaded Council Tax is not getting any smaller and petrol is just a little bit pricey. If you do drive a car, then you will probably want to park it somewhere and that can also be expensive in the UK. When Mrs Hippopotamus and I were in China, we did not need a car because the public transport is so cheap and easy to use. You would not have to worry about paying rent each month, Bonnie23, if your school proviuded you with a free apartment. (Some international schools also pay your utility bills as well.) You could send me one of those TES Conversation things and I will help you as much as I can.

Another thing you could do would be to let out your property in the UK, if you have any, and then you could buy a house or an apartment somewhere much cheaper, such as in Bulgaria. You can read about these things in my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com As for heating bills, jubilee, I asked a Bulgarian friend of mine how he keeps his house warm in the winter and he replied, "Oh, I go up into the forest with my chainsaw."

14. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

One thing not to do is: write poetry!!! ha ha Save that for when you retire.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

@the hippo advertising your blog again? Are you so lonely over there you want people to come and join you? I've been to Bulgaria and enjoyed the trip but wouldn't consider living there. The villages I stayed in had plenty of empty houses - empty because the locals had had to leave and go elsewhere to find work to survive. The plight of those that remain won't be helped by relatively wealthy 'ex-pats' buying up the houses and pushing up prices.

16. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It's not the best thing in the world to remove yourself from everyone you know - and especially to a country where they speak another language. When you're quite young, adventuring the world is exciting, but as you get older, you realize the importance of enjoying this country and the people you know. One thing you might consider is letting one of your rooms, if you have a spare one. I believe that the income from doing this is tax free and so many young people are looking for homes. Only a suggestion. I've done it in the past and met some wonderful people.

towncryer likes this.
  17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, InkyP, there is not much chance of relatively wealthy expats pushing up property prices in Bulgaria and you have already explained the reason why: there are so many houses standing empty. (This is something that I have discussed in my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com) As you yourself have quite rightly pointed out, lots of young Bulgarians have indeed left the country, seeking work elsewhere. Therefore I am not suggesting that you (or anyone else) should come here to work, as the salaries in BG are so low. Of course, you could work online or else you could teach in an international school somewhere else in the world, such as Kenya, Egypt or China. Those are just a few of the places where I have been teaching over the last twenty years.

As for the idea of letting out a room, JosieWhitehead, I think that the OP would make much more money by letting out her whole house or apartment, rather than just one room.

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If you're young and fit you should get a van and put an add in the local paper and work towards an online website for house clearance. You charge to clear the houses and you get a run-down shop in a unfashionable part of town and sell the stuff for a few quid a time. Of course you need two people to shift the larger items.

Let social services etc know you do cheap furniture etc and are happy to accept payments from them or the council.

I've just come back from the car boot sale. I got in and started unloading by 7 a.m. and instantly selling. It was all over and packing up by 11 a.m. I've just coppered up and, after deducting my float and the entry fee and fuel costs, I'm around £190.00 up and I got rid of a load of clutter and mainly stuff given to me or sourced from flat clearance at work.

I'll be back next week with some of the bigger clutter and I expect to try to just get rid and come away with around £150.00 after expenses.

Anything left will go to Emmaus so I'll have loads of space and a simpler more streamlined life.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

II have good success with letters to magazines. I usually get in print and mainly get the star letter. This year I've won a £50 supermarket voucher, a £25 M&S voucher, and a bouquet of flowers. I have a letter and a short story submitted recently and have fingers crossed!
    Over the years I've won a food mixer, a slow cooker, two digital car radios, a Lumia bodyclock and lots of £10 + vouchers, all from carefully crafted letters linked to an article in the magazine (commercial magazines, Teaching Union quarterly magazines and supermarket free magazines).
    I often flick through magazines in the supermarket and only buy the one where I have a good idea for a letter. Sometimes I just take notes and the email address!

Rach05, towncryer, Mermaid7 and 2 others like this.
  20. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hi!
    I thought I might bump up this post.

I had a look at an exam marking website but it's only gcse and a level marking. Anything a primary school teacher can do... Any tips?