1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make assembly last half an hour without boring the children to tears?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AlongForTheRide, May 19, 2012.

1. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Next Friday I have been asked if I can take assembly for our year 5 and 6 classes for half an hour. I have no problem with talking for that long, but I am sure I will have bored them to tears if I just talk for 30 minutes. Any good ideas for doing something interactive that will keep their interest but not incite riotous behaviour?
    I guess since it is assembly, I had better have some kind of theme/moral to it as well. Singing assembly I can cope with, and ones where I can tell a story with a moral and discuss it. However 30 minutes is too long for that. Help!!

2. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Next Friday I have been asked if I can take assembly for our year 5 and 6 classes for half an hour. I have no problem with talking for that long, but I am sure I will have bored them to tears if I just talk for 30 minutes. Any good ideas for doing something interactive that will keep their interest but not incite riotous behaviour?
    I guess since it is assembly, I had better have some kind of theme/moral to it as well. Singing assembly I can cope with, and ones where I can tell a story with a moral and discuss it. However 30 minutes is too long for that. Help!!

3. Sometimes during ks2 assembly we teach a PSHE lesson. Use a powerpoint or resource on the screen (if you can) and get the children to think, pair, share. Maybe get the children to debate or ask questions about your topic and get the children to go to corners (depends on numbers tho!) to show their ideas - everyones involved then!

Good luck!

4. Half an hour is nothing!

Break it down into segments:
    Sing a hymn/song - 5 minutes
    Introduce and discuss the theme of your assembly - 10 minutes
    Tell a story related to your theme (use children to role play) 10 minutes.
    Year 6 children read out pre-prepared prayers related to theme - 5 minutes.

Job done.